Author Topic: Pumpkin Run  (Read 2973 times)

Offline ksrunner

• 2010 Topeka to Auburn 1/2 Marathon
Pumpkin Run
« on: October 11, 2010, 02:47:46 PM »
On Saturday, I ran the Jared Coones Pumpkin Run. After still having problems with my knee last week, I drastically cut back mileage this week. I only had 15 miles for the week before getting to the race. I also tried doing some lunges before my run on Thursday night -- thinking that I need to work on strengthening. The lunges were not for this race in particular. I had thought to wait until after my races for this fall are complete before incorporating some strengthening exercises into my training, but with my knee giving me troubles and my training disrupted, I decided that there was no point in waiting. Though I only did 20 lunges (10 to the front and 10 to the sides -- alternating legs), I was sore on Friday and still sore for the race. But, my knees did feel much improved and I felt ready to run a decent race.

I had a good warmup running the last mile of the course backward and forward. I like to warm up over the last part of the course to gain familiarity with the finish. I think that it helps if the competition is tight near the end of the race. I saw a few friends before the start, but I was not seeing any of the fast runners that I recognize. I began to think that I might compete for the overall win. But, shortly before the start, the winner from last week's race showed up at the starting line, so I knew an overall win was not to be.

When the gun went off, there were more people in front of me than there had been last week, but they also faded faster than they had last week. Soon there were just three people in front of me. The lead vehicles were a police car and two civilian motorcycles. At least one of the motorcycles had nasty smelling exhaust, so it is just as well that I was not leading the race. Before the first mile, it became clear that all three runners in front of me were for real and they were pulling away faster than last week. They were reading splits at the mile. I went through in 5:27. (Garmin users reported the mile as slightly long.) Though I didn't change my race, I calculated my ETA as around 17:00 if I could maintain pace. Soon after the mile, I began to lose sight of the leaders at times and at some point it became permanent. The sound of competition behind me also began to fade and when I looked back around mile two, I could not see anyone behind me either. Though I wasn't in the lead, I thought that my situation was similar to Ryan's from last week. I tried to keep pushing the pace, but I still slowed some over the last two miles. My finishing time was 17:20. The leaders finished in 16:01, 16:07, and 16:08. Fifth place was about 50 seconds behind me.

In the results, they show me in fifth place due to chip timing. I will comment on that under Ryan's "Screwed up Race Results" post.

I was happy with my result. Though I haven't clinched the grand prix title I am chasing, I solidified my position in front and made it unlikely that I will be passed in the last two races. The next grand prix race is a half marathon. Although I am underprepared, I am much better prepared than last year when I ran it after a two month injury layoff in just under 1:30. I look forward to seeing how the race plays out this year.
We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves.
   - Sir Roger Bannister, former athlete

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Re: Pumpkin Run
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 03:13:11 PM »
Good job. Regardless of what the "official" results say, you know you were 4th. I have a few races now that, whenever I review the results, I find myself putting an asterisk next to my result in them because of these phantom runners.

Interesting comments about the lunges and the knee. It would seem to me surprising that the lunges would make a difference so quickly but I'll be interested to see what you say about the knee in the future.

By the way, warming up over the last mile: I like it. Whenever feasible, I always do that. It gives you the advantage over those who don't because you know what's coming and how far you have to go.

Offline ksrunner

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 04:40:16 PM »
Good job. Regardless of what the "official" results say, you know you were 4th. I have a few races now that, whenever I review the results, I find myself putting an asterisk next to my result in them because of these phantom runners.

I wonder if that guy even ran a whole 5K. I can imagine scenarios where he might not have had malicious intent. Though I cannot really give him a pass because if you cut the course, you shouldn't pass through the finish. His gun time of 21:31 still puts him in the top 70 out of 3200. At first I imagined him finishing with the huge pack, but I think that it was still relatively thing at that point. I've not been in a race with so many participants and so heavily skewed toward the back of the pack.

Interesting comments about the lunges and the knee. It would seem to me surprising that the lunges would make a difference so quickly but I'll be interested to see what you say about the knee in the future.

I don't know if it was the lunges or the low mileage that helped the knee last week. I won't do any lunges after Tuesday this week. I don't want to be sore for the half marathon on Saturday. It will be interesting to see how things go.

I'm also considering running a small 7-mile trail race on Sunday. It has an $8 race day entry fee. My primary goal there would be to meet some trail runners and perhaps trade contact info and meet them for trail runs later. Of course, if I feel well enough to run, I will run to compete. I have also considered volunteering for the event.
We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 11:06:39 PM »
Nice race!
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline mlittle3

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 02:17:10 PM »
Nice race! Are you usually a 5k kind of guy or do you run longer stuff most of the time?

Offline ksrunner

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 02:57:24 PM »
mlittle3,

I usually run 5k if only because that is what is usually available around here. I also run half marathons and 8k. I haven't run a 10K in 20 years -- but that's because I either have a conflict or other races that I am doing when the 10k races are scheduled.

I think that ultimately, I would like to train for general running fitness -- not necessarily to peak for a specific race. I just want to run well and compete when I enter a race from 5k to half marathon. I might even run an occasional race on the track if the opportunity arises.

Tags: race report  5k