Author Topic: Adding news sources to the Running News Network  (Read 3256 times)

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Adding news sources to the Running News Network
« on: December 30, 2010, 10:54:33 AM »
I recently added 4 new news sources (RunnerSpace.com, TrackFocus, Competitor Running, Spikes) to the Running News Network. Don't be surprised if more get added again in the near future.

I hope you will find that these additions help you find all the running news you are interested in at one central location through the Running News Network. As I find more quality news sources that support the method we are using to gather news links, I will be sure to add them to the current list of sources you see. If you know of a news source that isn't currently available at the Running News Network, let me know and I will see if they support our method of gathering links.

In addition, I know the page is getting a bit big, with 5 articles per news source from currently 11 different sources. Among other projects on my to do list is to add the ability for you to decide which sources you want to view news from, what order you want to see them in, and potentially how many articles per news source you want to see.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
Re: Adding news sources to the Running News Network
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 10:56:27 AM »
Does Universal Sports have a marathon feed?
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 12:47:31 PM »
Good call, yes they do! I thought I checked them before and didn't find anything but I just found both a Track & Field feed and a Marathon feed for both news and videos, both news feeds look like they have good articles posted. Don't be surprised if we're up to 13 sources by the end of the day.

If/when I get around to allowing personalization, the video feeds also look interesting, though I think they would largely just clutter up the page right now.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 01:30:54 PM »
While waiting for some things to complete at work, I got the two Universal Sports feeds added. Up to 13 sources and we're seriously looking like the ability for people to select which sources they would like to see would be a good idea. In the meantime, I attempted to organize them in some fashion. General news from the elite/competitive running world grouped on the top. Regional news sources in the lower left, a couple that didn't seem to fit either of the previous descriptions on the bottom right.