Author Topic: Desi Davila Appreciation Thread  (Read 12848 times)

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
Desi Davila Appreciation Thread
« on: April 14, 2011, 11:46:07 AM »
Like with her fellow Hansons-Brooks star, Brian Sell, I am a huge fan of Desi Davila's story.  Not a college star with multiple national titles, as a blue collar grinder type she has steadily worked her way through tough training and injury to steadily improve into one of the very best U..S distance runners.  She has PRed in each marathon that she has run and ran PRs in 3000m (i), 5000m, and 10,000m in 2010 and ran a half-marathon PR in January.  If I were to point to anyone at the top of the marathon in the U.S. as a great example of intelligence, toughness, consistency, and class, it would be Davila.  Apparently those attributes are simply not as worthy of attention from the media as traits displayed by those who do command magazine covers and year-round media scrutiny, so it is refreshing to see ink about her as she heads into a big race:
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/other_sports/general/view/2011_0414davilas_road_leads_directly_to_hub/
http://articles.boston.com/2011-04-11/sports/29407190_1_desiree-davila-deena-kastor-chicago-marathon
http://www.examiner.com/marathon-in-national/dark-horse-desiree-davila-on-the-boston-marathon-kara-goucher-and-the-olympics
http://www.letsrun.com/2011/davila-0412.php
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Re: Desi Davila Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 12:34:52 PM »
I'm a huge fan of Desi. She's a heck of a runner, a lot of her fellow competitors could learn a lot from her. I wish her the best on Monday.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 09:17:01 PM »
Hell, a lot of marathoners who are far slower than her (and who apparently esteem her competitors) could learn a lot from her.  8)
http://talk.brooksrunning.com/2011/04/15/q-and-a-with-desi-davila/
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 07:55:53 AM »
Yes, I kind of figured that went without saying. Everyone could learn a lot from her.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 09:51:47 AM »
Get that appreciation thread going! Leading at Boston in the closing miles!

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 09:56:12 AM »
Came down to the final kick and Desi finishes second, 3 seconds back. What a race!

Offline cesar

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 10:31:06 AM »
what a race!!!

Hall finished 4th in 2:04:58, mutai first in 2:03:01, mosop second in 2:03:02 and gebremariam 3rd in 2:04:53!!!

Offline Charlene

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 11:26:41 AM »

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 05:10:33 PM »
Smith appeared to have simply run herself into the ground. 

What can I say about Davila but WOW! I figured she would have another performance progression yet even I did not project her to finish in the top two.  A true contender who lets her legs do the talking.  Presuming she can stay healthy through the next year and a half, and there is little reason to believe that she will not, then it looks like the U.S. will have a definite medal contender in the marathon in London.  8)

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 06:28:43 AM »
With Smith, it's hard to think of any other logical explanation. She took it out hard and just didn't have it in her to hold that pace the whole way.

As for Davila, I'm still floored by her run. As with you, I expected another step forward but this was more than a single step forward. That was huge! I saw it pointed out yesterday that, with Flanagan and Goucher, the US now has 3 runners who have finished on the podium at major marathons. At the moment, I'd put Davila at the head of that pack but things are looking good all around for the US women as London approaches.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 07:08:50 AM »
Right, I can confidently say that Davila was genuinely contending for the win (not merely hoping to win or saying she could win) and with the other two I could not.

http://bostonmarathon.runnersworld.com/2011/04/desiree-davila-makes-it-honest.html

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 08:11:56 AM »
Indeed, that's the sense I got. Davila went for it and had a legitimate shot at breaking the tape. The other two weren't up at the front, taking the lead and challenging for the win, in the final mile.

Offline Double

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 06:53:26 PM »
On the gas...kickin' a$$.  You gotta play to win.

Years back there where a few races Ryan and I were contenders and though neither of us made
any public declarations of how we would do, I always knew his intentions an vica versa.  You had to
be in the soup.  Much less quality fields, but we seldom raced the same way.  He took it more from
the front and I liked to sit back and wait.  I kinda miss that.  As close as we were we never went in
asking what the other was going to do.  I always respected Ryan for that and I'm sure he felt the
same way.
"What are you training for?" "For life."  (Barry Duncan)
"What race are you running?" "The human race." (Clement Grum)

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 07:10:04 PM »
Double, we never had to ask what the other was going to do. We had our plans and I'm sure, in time, we knew exactly what the other was going to do. We both laid it on the line. Sometimes, it worked out for me. Other times, it worked out for you. In the end, though, we knew whoever came out on top beat the other's best on that day.

Those races were a lot of fun. They are really what racing is all about. Lay it on the line and see who has the best stuff on race day. While she was doing so at a whole different level than you and I, essentially, that's the same thing we saw from Desi yesterday.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 05:51:19 PM »

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 12:01:27 PM »

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 06:14:34 AM »
And now, she has another solid training partner in Neely Spence (running fans from the early 90s might recognize that last name).

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 02:17:21 PM »
And now she has another solid training partner in Neely Spence (running fans from the early 90s might recognize that last name).
Nice, I recognize Neely from meeting her a couple of summers ago when she was out here training with one of her teammates at Ship.  Good for both her and the Hansons (hopefully), though it could certainly be a year before she runs even a half-marathon, let alone a marathon.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 02:56:15 PM »
Oh, it definitely could be some time before she moves up in distance. Right now, it sounds like she's focused on the Olympic T&F Trials. No problem from me with that, though. While the program is known for marathoners, other Hansons runners have taken their time moving up and had success on the track or at shorter road distances.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2012, 09:56:47 AM »
More love for Desi: http://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/Marathon-runner-representing-Metro-Detroit-in-the-Summer-Olympics-in-London/-/1719176/12154852/-/fbxvlt/-/index.html
Pretty cool that she has fully embraced adopting MI as her home.  It is easy for people to adopt places like Oregon or Colorado, yet someone with SoCal roots finding the seasons of the upper Midwest a pleasure?  That is rather unusual -- I doubt we would see anyone like Hall, Keflezighi, or Kastor relocating to MSP, Milwaukee, Cleveland, or even Chicago anytime soon.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 08:55:00 PM by Andrew A. »