Author Topic: Training and Racing in the Heat  (Read 2764 times)

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Training and Racing in the Heat
« on: July 18, 2011, 03:07:16 PM »
An apt article for those of us in the Midwest (and I'm sure elsewhere) who are running in sauna-like conditions at the moment.

One of the reasons I'm always stressing running by effort is heavily emphasized in there. Adverse conditions, whether heat, humidity, extreme cold, or whatever else can make splits meaningless.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
Re: Training and Racing in the Heat
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 10:13:17 AM »
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline trivianut

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 01:58:33 PM »
The reason I ran @ 4:10 this morning? Current temperature @ 3:00 pm: 99 degrees. Heat index: 106. Expected temp @ 6 pm (when I usually run): about the same.
This morning it was 75 with a H.I. of around 80. Much better, but still not comfortable.

Still, the 5 easy miles were a bit labored. I've been running with a watch in my pocket (band broke) so I track total time run, but not splits.
Result? Running by effort and feel works better without the watch. I have no desire to do anything moderate or beyond until the temps drop below 70.

2-3 more oppressive days.... :P

Offline Double

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 03:15:31 PM »
I've been heat training this summer.  Tuesday ran 6 with the tossel cap on, heavy bottoms, and two long sleeve tops at 91F.
No problems, typically negative split back.  Yesterday at 97F, ran with tossel cap and a long sleeve black t-shirt.  Black loop
at Lapham (6.7) w/ no water.  No effects, but did sail by many who went out fast.  Have 50 miler in Duluth in 9 days.  I can
tell the difference.  It will be good to have trained for the heat, but it still won't overcome the ability of how much liquid my
body will be able to process.  I will slow down, run easy and stay on the fluids & electrolytes.  The hope is to be heat tolerant
and outlast many who have outstanding summer tans.
"What are you training for?" "For life."  (Barry Duncan)
"What race are you running?" "The human race." (Clement Grum)

Offline Ed

• 4 Consistent months and Counting!
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 04:52:35 AM »
Wow - Double - Wow!
Next Goal Race - Al's Run

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 04:29:49 PM »
Double: Pack a lunch and leave no stone unturned.

Tags: heat