Author Topic: A little more explanation of the Firefox recommendation  (Read 2870 times)

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
A little more explanation of the Firefox recommendation
« on: September 23, 2004, 11:46:47 AM »
Also, feel free to ask questions.

First off, I am not making a single cent from the Firefox links. The primary reason I am not linking directly to the download page is that the links I am offering allow me to keep track of how many people are actually following my recommendations and giving it a shot. The secondary reason is that you can go to a website where you can find users of Firefox discussing its benefits.

Second, I know Internet Explorer has been treated as a stand-alone application and updates have always been available from Microsoft independent of operating system in the past. However, as this article points out, there are signs that Microsoft is changing this stance, which leads into my next point.

As that article points out, in order to get the latest security updates for Internet Explorer, you must be using Windows XP. This means spending $99 to upgrade from an earlier version of Windows or, if you are not using Windows, spending $199 to switch. For those who do not want to spend that money, you either leave yourself exposed to security flaws that every hacker in the world now knows about or you quit using Internet Explorer and find another option. I am giving my suggestion for that other option.

If you still have any questions about why I have chosen to recommend Firefox, please feel free to ask by replying to this message.

If you want to give Firefox a try, click here.

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
A little more explanation of the Firefox recommendation
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 01:15:39 PM »
I have still been receiving some questions about why I am "suddenly against" Internet Explorer. Well, first, I'm not "suddenly" anything. I have always been unhappy with some things Microsoft has been doing with Internet Explorer. Second, I'm not really "against" Internet Explorer as much as I am "for" Firefox, which I simply feel is a better option.

However, for those of you who are wondering about my concerns with Internet Explorer, see the links and quotes found here.

A few of the quotes:

Quote from: "USA Today"
Using Microsoft’s Internet Explorer Web browser to surf the Internet has become a marked risk — even with the latest security patches installed.

Quote from: "The Inquirer"
The US Government has sent out a warning out to internet users through its Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT), pleading users to stop using Microsoft’s Internet Explorer.

Quote from: "EWeek"
Meanwhile, security researchers are reporting a new vulnerability in SP2 that could allow a malicious Web site to deposit an attack program on a user's system.

Tags: