Author Topic: Future of the Hillrunner.com Newsletter  (Read 2884 times)

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Future of the Hillrunner.com Newsletter
« on: December 17, 2003, 03:39:18 PM »
For those of you who subscribe to the newsletter, I'm sure you've already noticed that it has been a little while since the last issue. There have been multiple reasons for that. I was planning on getting back on track in January.

However, yesterday, President Bush signed the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 into law to become effective January 1st. While I think this is a great step forward in internet communication, it does have all mass e-mailers, including myself, taking a step back.

I highly doubt that I would ever be hunted down as a spammer. However, if something did happen, the penalties for spamming are very steep, including jail time and up to 7 figures in fines. I personally know that the Hillrunner.com Newsletter is completely opt-in and that everyone who receives the newsletter has sent me an e-mail requesting the newsletter. However, I don't have records of every subscriber's request. As I read information on CAN-SPAM, this may or may not be an issue. However, I do not want to take the risk. Because of that, at a later date, I will be asking everyone who wants to receive the newsletter to re-subscribe so I will have a record of everyone's request.

I intend to send an e-mail to the current mailing list before the end of the month so everyone is notified of this. I just wanted to let everyone know right now what is going on.

I'm sorry for any incovenience but I have to make sure I have my bases covered.

Tags: