Reply To: Track & Field shoots itself in the foot again

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Track & Field shoots itself in the foot again Reply To: Track & Field shoots itself in the foot again

Ryan
Keymaster

Honestly, I think the Chelimo DQ was legitimate. He stepped inside the rail, that should be a DQ. What bothers me is the inconsistency. Why was Farah’s step inside the rail in the Olympics not a DQ? Neither went inside the rail due to being pushed or cut off. Neither used going inside the rail to gain a better position or for any competitive advantage other than the minuscule distance saved. So why the different outcome?

As for the men’s 400, I saw Seb Coe respond to someone that athletes should in the future be allowed to get on the track before the meet to preview it. Apparently, the banking was challenging and causing even highly experienced professional athletes to run out of their lanes. I saw an interesting chart on Twitter (I’ll see if I can find it and share) on DQs by year in the men’s 400 at World Indoors. The number is generally low, with two big spikes this year and the last time Indoor Worlds was on this track.

As for the idea of a penalty in the results, I get where you’re coming from but I don’t like it. One of the great things about track and field is that it’s black and white. First across the line wins. Beat your opponent to the line. That’s all that matters. If we start assessing penalties, then you lose that.

I’m not quite sure how IAAF rules are but, when I was in high school, the rules were clear. A single step completely inside the line is a DQ. Three consecutive steps on the line is a DQ.