Reply To: Track & Field shoots itself in the foot again

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Track & Field shoots itself in the foot again Reply To: Track & Field shoots itself in the foot again

Ryan
Keymaster

Interesting. Apparently you’re not the only one who came up with a time penalty idea.

To be honest, I’m still not sold on that idea. In fact, the conclusion of that article, in my opinion, argues against the time penalty itself.

Right now, track and field needs every fan it can get. It should bolster its image as a sport that’s beautiful because it is so simple: no esoteric rules or insider jargon. The first person across the line is the winner. At least that’s how it should be.

Going back to my fear of time penalties the author seems to be promoting, implement them and the first person across the line may not be the winner.

However, he does bring up a point I do think we should keep in mind:

It was a contentious decision since, per IAAF Rule 163.4, an athlete should only be disqualified in such an instance if “material advantage is gained” from the infraction, which hardly seemed true in Chelimo’s the case.

I hate rules that create a gray area of subjective judgement. However, if that’s what the rule currently is, then enforce it that way. Chelimo gained a material advantage? I don’t think so.