1. I once ran a race to finish dead last to see what it was like…the ambulance right behind me.
2. At the PA State Farm Show in Harrisburg, PA I went out for a run early and found a huge box of cigars packed
in those little boxes. I grabbed 3-4 and ran back to the hotel. My Dad said, “Were's the peanuts?”
3. I used to run a 20 miler in HS on Saturday in the summer and never gave it thought to take anything with me.
4. I used to go run in the summer from my Dad's place and get lost after a couple hours. Eventually I would ask someone
to use their phone and call Dad. He was a lineman for the power company and knew the whole county. He always got a kick
out of how far I would end up away from home.
5. I have found several wallets and phones over the years and was usually succesful in finding the owner. Some grateful
and some I got the sense they though I stole their money.
6. I had to go get a farmer one time because his cows got out.
7. I had to go to court one time because someone tried to run us over. To the extent he was driving up through 2-3 people's
yards chasing us down.
8. In college I hitched to a concert and was in some dinky town 85 miles from home not knowing which way to go. I found
and old gas station and there was a guy underneath a car working on it. It was my HS cross-country coach.
9. At the 100k Nationals one year I was battling with the then American record holder for 24 hours. We went through 80k in 5:58:04. He beat me by like 4 minutes, but I laid it out anyway.
10. I had one of those magic days about 10 years ago on a training run. No taper, not enough sleep, tired from the miles. Was doing a 20 miler and ran 6:28 pace out and 6:08 pace back. I just couldn't tire myself out. It was awesome!