Re: Re: 105 marathons in 2008

Welcome! Forums Running Forum 105 marathons in 2008 Re: Re: 105 marathons in 2008

DoppleBock

To me it is not a sports story, but a human interest story.  Larry does what he loves, his skill is not high but his dedication to do what he loves is very high.  I am not azamed by the athletic feat, but by a person on the very fringe of the sport that is spending this much time and money to jog 2 marathons a weekend.

Sometimes people like to see what they can do … because it is a physical sport, we balk at the accomplishment because it is not that phsycially challenging.  To me it is not different than the 50 state club – interesting – more on the human interest level than anything else.

Just Finishing a marathon, 50k, 50 miler, 100 miler is given way too much credit  … Just finishing any of these distances to a weel conditioned athlete is not really that big of a deal.  To the offended 4:00 marathoner – Think about doing your next one in 7:00 hours.

But people like to be overly impressed.

Sometimes I read about someone that has run for 1-5-10-20-30 years straight – Again more of a human interest story in stubborness and persistence than a great physical accomplishment.