Re: Re: Average finish time at NYCM was 3:32 in 1980 — in 2008 it was 4:16

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Average finish time at NYCM was 3:32 in 1980 — in 2008 it was 4:16 Re: Re: Average finish time at NYCM was 3:32 in 1980 — in 2008 it was 4:16

Ryan
Keymaster

That or the RW forum.

Agree 100% with the article by Tanya. If I were as good of a writer, I would have written the same thing. Of course, compared to her, I'm just a paint by numbers writer. 😉

A note on the original NY Times article. To me, it's not so much about how long it takes you to finish the marathon. It's about how much respect you give the distance and how you prepare for it. In many cases, your time is a reflection of that respect and preparation. In some cases, your time may be a reflection of your age, disabilities, or other factors (the average marathoner has also gotten older over the past 25 years and a disabled person completing a marathon was all but unheard of back then).

I think the people in the article would agree with me on that but, the way the article was written, that didn't always come across to me as all that clear.