Re: Re: NEW AMERICAN RECORD FOR 5000 METERS

Welcome! Forums Running Forum NEW AMERICAN RECORD FOR 5000 METERS Re: Re: NEW AMERICAN RECORD FOR 5000 METERS

Wilson

I'll give Ritz, and the Salazar camp the benefit, of the doubt. The improvement is a big leap, if not a remarkable one, but think of 10 years of huge base starting in high school, college under Wetmore, and lots of volume and marathoning under Hudson; then setting the track aside for a few years and then going back at it under a new system, on that probably is strongly Bowerman-Dellinger inspired, not to mention altitude tents. I can see a breakthrough like this, even for someone at Ritz's level at this point in his career. If he was 36 and hadn't gone faster than 13:20 in 10 or 12 years, and suddenly cracked 13, yes that'd raise some questions.

At the same time, nothing would surprise me either.

Amby Burfoot should be burned at the stake with a pile of RWs as tinder, figuratively speaking of course. He takes an overly simplistic view, but what can you expect?

I finally caught the video on Universal Sports. Well most of it. First, can't we get rid of those clowns, Lewis Johnson and Dwight Stones, or anyone that has anything to do with NBC.  They cut away from Bekele's move at 3K – not that Isinbayeva jumping and prancing around the pole vault pit is a bad thing. Ritz was DL for the first mile or so, and was almost out of the picture. Since they are American broadcastors they could have checked a couple of those splits and noted that, even though he was in 8th place or so at 3K he was moving along pretty well.

Now that stretch run – He was 50 m back with just 2.5 laps to go. That was an amazing closer.