Re: Re: Shaheen joins Bekele, Songok and Kipchoge in Rome 5000

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Shaheen joins Bekele, Songok and Kipchoge in Rome 5000 Re: Re: Shaheen joins Bekele, Songok and Kipchoge in Rome 5000

Ryan
Keymaster

The pacers would probably be expected to cover at least 3k. Without Shaheen, I would picture Bekele trying to simply run away from the competition. However, with Shaheen, the picture changes. Bekele probably would feel that he wouldn't be able to run away from Shaheen. It's very possible that neither of them would want to take the lead and it might come down to whether Songok or Kipchoge would be willing to take the lead, assuming they are still in the hunt.

I remember seeing a few races in the past where the leaders would tear through the first half to 3/4 of a race. Once the pacers stepped off the track and the race wasn't decided yet, the pace dropped significantly. Nobody can say whether that will happen this time but I see the potential for it. What about a 12:50-something finishing time with a last lap in the low 50s? I don't know how likely that would be but it doesn't seem impossible.