Re: Re: Video: 1964 Olympic 10,000: “Look at Mills! Look at Mills!”

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Video: 1964 Olympic 10,000: "Look at Mills! Look at Mills!" Re: Re: Video: 1964 Olympic 10,000: “Look at Mills! Look at Mills!”

Ryan
Keymaster

Kevin, there are a couple of things I love about that video. First, you can see the pushing and shoving. Also, if you watch closely, all three of the leaders were involved in some contact around turn 1. The most obvious was Mills getting pushed out to lane 3 but that wasn't it. It is a real testament to Mills that he kept his head when that big push happened, got back in there for a little more jostling, and kept it together through all of that. I've seen people pack it in after much less contact than what you can see in that 20-30 yards.

The second thing is at the end. Of course, the kick through the traffic but also the reaction of the second announcer. I don't think you hear one word from that second announcer until you hear the famous “Look at Mills! Look at Mills!” After that, you just hear that second announcer gushing over how great of a finish that was for Mills.

My next offering, probably posted in the next week or two, will be a video that someone else sent me the link to from the same Olympics. A much less well known race but still a great one. Combined with this race, it made the 1964 Olympics a real shining moment for American distance runners.