2 Mile Training

Welcome! Forums Running Forum 2 Mile Training

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  scottperry00 14 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

scottperry00

I have a question. I need to train for a two mile run in two weeks. I know this is not much time so i am hoping that you guys could give me some advice on the best way to use what little time I have.

Thanks

Ed 1

You really can’t do any training for this per sey. What you can do is prepare your legs for the run. I am asuming that this is for the military. What age catagory are you in and how much time do you have to pass. If it is for the Army truth be told you could run the first mile and probably walk (quickly) the second mile and pass with a score of 60.

That being said – I would reccomend that you run very light and easy (airborn shuffle) every other day about two miles. Kepp track of how long this takes you. In the middle of week two increase that to three miles (maybe two runs at this distance) but keep the pace light and easy, again, the airborn shuffle unless you feel good while running. Then make it a two mile (4 days prior) and then a one mile (2 days prior). Stretch daily – do not only stretch your legs. Do full body stretches.

You should be able to go out strong (not real fast) and finish well. Another piece of advice for you is if you are running as a group which if it is for the military that is the most likely situation then talk to others. For the military it is not a race but a test. Find someone that has a pace that will get you a passing score but a pace that closely matches your time from your runs but a little faster. Then stay with them and if you feel good race them out to the end the last quater mile or so.

Good luck have fun. If this is for the military it sounds as if your IR status has be recalled. I hope that you do not get deployed overseas – my prayers are with you and your family.

Ryan
    Keymaster

As the physiological adaptions to training require about 10-14 days to take place, it’s too late to “train” for this. All you can hope to do now is get in some last minute preparation. Do some running, no more than you have been doing and probably even less, do a few strides to get your legs used to running fast, and hope you are fit enough to reach whatever goals you may have.

Peter

You posted a very similar topic subject 10 days ago, saying you had to train for a military physical fitness test “next week”. You received several replies. Is this the same test that was somehow delayed, or is it a completely new test? If you had started some basic running 10 days ago, and continue for the next two weeks, you should be ok. But, you should be honest and let us know wat’s different about this test from the last. If they are one and the same, then you really weren’t honest the first time in detailing when the run was.

In any event, if you are going to be doing more frequent PT in the future, general running of 30-40 minutes 4-5 times per week at a moderate pace should be beneficial for your overall fitness. Until you are more specific about this, that’s as specific advice as I can give.

Sluggo
    Peter wrote:
    You posted a very similar topic subject 10 days ago, saying you had to train for a military physical fitness test “next week”. You received several replies. Is this the same test that was somehow delayed, or is it a completely new test? If you had started some basic running 10 days ago, and continue for the next two weeks, you should be ok. But, you should be honest and let us know wat’s different about this test from the last. If they are one and the same, then you really weren’t honest the first time in detailing when the run was.

This is partially my fault, as he wrote me privately about this after he failed his last run due to a muscle cramp, since I posted last time he asked the question. I responded privately by making some short-term and long-term training suggestions specific to the APFT and also advised him that he should never hesitate to pose training questions to the resident experts on this board as you all know more than I do on training. I suggested he post rather than keep private questions on training as it would be great if his questions by chance could help someone else as well. He was given two weeks to retake the test so he was being honest but he didn’t fill you in on what happened. Like me, he sounds new to the board.

scottperry00

Yes I did post a few weeks ago, and as Sluggo pointed out I failed the test. I have another two weeks, well actually 15 days to work on it. I was just trying to get some more info. I have done the tips that people here gave me the last time and it has been very helpful. I know i did not have much time to “train” but i have another two weeks. I will be runnign every day to try and get my body ready. I think this is why i failed, i did pretty well the first mile or so then a muscle in my back started cramping up and i could not get a full breath. This screwed me up and i missed the time.

Thanks for all the support.

Peter

Hope you are doing better. Make sure you don’t pus it too much and reinjure yourself. Also, give us an update on your test results.

Thanks to Sluggo too for the explanation.

Ed 1

For the APFT – and I am holding the score card in my hand – even in the toughest age group you have 15:54 to finish your two miles. A moserate pace that should not strain you would allow you to finish with a passing score of 60 points. What is your age by the way? In the 22-26 age group you have 16:36 – in the 27-31 age group you have 17:00 – in the 32-36 age group you have 17:42 to finish and anything older than that you have 18:18 to get a passing score of 60 points. So where do you fall?

scottperry00

Im 28, i have been running my butt off, well maybe not to you guys but to me it is, for the last week or so and have already dropped off about 4 minutes. So i will be running like three to four slow miles to get my endurance up this week. I will run a hard two miles and see where i am at on monday. I will post the results to let you all know. You all have been extremely helpful.

Thanks for the help.

Scott

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.