20 years

Welcome! Forums Running Forum 20 years

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 8 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

There's a reason I chose the poll topic I did for this month. In April 1990, two friends talked me into going out for 7th grade track. I thought I would be a sprinter so I could at least get the misery over quickly. Anyone who has seen me try to sprint (or who has read a recent topic on here where my complete lack of sprinting ability came up) knows how funny that idea was.

Fortunately, it didn't take long for Coach Conway to recognize that I had no hope of any kind of success in sprinting and convince me to give distance running a try, where if nothing else I could succeed at some level through sheer willpower and hard work.

20 years and over 70,000 miles later, here I am. It's been an incredible ride. I wouldn't give it up for anything and all because of a little peer pressure in 7th grade.

Here's to the next 20 years. I hope to have as many great experiences and meet as many great runners as I have in my first 20 years as a runner.

cesar
    Participant

inspring!!!

Double

That is a pile of miles!

Andrew A.

Not too shabby!  8)

ed
    Participant

That isn't too far off from three trips around the earth at the equator!!

Here's to another 20 good years!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Thanks guys. Honestly, I don't think of it as that big of a deal. The miles are what they are. They are more a testament to consistency than anything. What I would be most proud of is the fact that I've kept it going for 20 years, especially as I look around at all the people I've run with along the way who aren't running anymore or are only doing so on an occasional basis.

What I've accomplished is nothing compared to many people who have been at this thing for even less time than I have. However, on a personal level, I have accomplished more than I could have dreamed of 20 years ago and I've had experiences that I wouldn't give up for anything. Running has given so much to me over the past 20 years and I'm sure will continue to do so for the next 20+ years. I can only hope I can give back a small portion of what I have received.

Wilson

Congrats on your milestone and years of good running!

Holy cow, though, 20 years ago I was about the same age you are now.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I have a question, in your 20 years of running, what is the best shoes and socks to be used out there?

As for shoes, that question is so dependent on both an individual runner and the runner's current situation that I hesitate to answer. My choice of shoes right now is the Asics Hyperspeed. As for socks, I go for value and get Starter performance socks, I'm not sure what exactly they are called. I believe they run a bit under $2 a pair, they last a good amount of time, and they perform well.

Also, I want your opinion about smartwool socks?  Are they any good?

I have one pair and I like them but I'm not sure I have interest in spending the money to fully invest in wearing nothing but them.

DoppleBock

Congrats on the 20 years and 70k – You are truly blessed adn dedicated to be able to keep up that volume of training year after year.

I am new / old here …

ed
    Participant

Isn't Dopplebock a German beer name?

DoppleBock

If authentic – Dopel Bock with 2 dots above the o.

Also the fat boys division at the Point Bock 5 mile race … Although I only qualified for Big Bock (200-219) instead of Dopple Bock (220+) this year.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Good to see you back and thanks. Indeed, I am blessed. As for dedication, it's just what I do. I don't know any other way. If that's dedication, great.

Double

Some days I don't want to run.  Then I figure Ryan is heading out
    so I my as well get out there.  That's how I roll.

Ryan
    Keymaster

And here I thought it all boiled down to beating Woody.

ed
    Participant

I believe that is part of his equation. 😉

Andrew A.

We are becoming old guys, man.  😉

Anne

Congratulations Ryan & here's to many more miles in the years to come.

Ryan
    Keymaster

We are becoming old guys, man.  😉

Who are you calling old? Better watch it or your karma might take a hit. 😉

Ryan
    Keymaster

Thanks Anne. I'm sure 20 years doesn't seem like a lot to some people but, to me, it's enough that I barely remember what life was like before running was a big part of it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.