2005: An Overview

Welcome! Forums Running Forum 2005: An Overview

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  MothAudio 13 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

MothAudio

I just sketched out my training schedule through my BQ peak race in October. What do you think?

Jan> May 1st – Train for Cinny marathon. Using this race just to refamilarize myself with the distance [est. 3:50 finish]. Run half marathon early April.

May16th> July1st – Begin base building to prepare for marathon schedule. 20k end of May.

July9th> Oct16th – Begin Piftzinger 18 week [55mpw] marathon training schedule. Half marathon Aug24th. 15 mile race Sept3rd used for race pace workout [8:00 pace]. 5 mile/15k race Sept18th. 10k Oct3rd. Begin reducing mileage after half in Aug.

Oct16th – Peak Race. Need 3:35 to qualify. Shooting for 3:30. Ran 1:39 half last Fall. Last marathon – 2000.

Peter

Base building January to May, and marathon program June through early October, with some shorter races from 5m to 1/2 marathon sprinkled in. Goal is to run Chicago and BQ (3:20), PR (3:06) or maybe even sub 3.

Make sure you give yourself enough time for your program. July 9 to October 16 is only 14 weeks, vs. 18 that Pfitz’s program is.

Otherwise, looks real good. Good luck!

Ryan
    Keymaster
    MothAudio wrote:
    Jan> May 1st – Train for Cinny marathon. Using this race just to refamilarize myself with the distance [est. 3:50 finish].

Maybe I’m misunderstanding. Are you going to race Cincy? If you’re not racing it, why train for it and why would you think you’re going to “refamiliarize” yourself with the distance by just running it? We could all run 26.2 miles but that’s still worlds different than racing a marathon. If you’re not going to race it, I’d say base building through the winter and spring would be the best way to go.

In fact, if you are going to race it but you are not concerned whether you run 3:40 or 3:50, I might still say simply racing it strictly off base training may be a better choice for your fall goal. Otherwise…

MothAudio wrote:
    May16th> July1st – Begin base building to prepare for marathon schedule.

…you are giving yourself only 1.5 months for base training when base training should ideally be at least 3 months long.

MothAudio

No, I’m not racing it. When I posted about my BQ effort last year everyone said I shouldn’t try to BQ without having run at least one [1] marathon beforehand. In my case it’s been since 2000 and that was a 5+ hour finish. So I decided to do a Spring race, just to remember what’s it’s like. I realize running and racing are two different things, especially at this distance. But I’m a year ahead of schedule, so if I fail this Fall I can always come back in 2006 and qualify for the 2007 Boston race. This was my original plan but I’m ahead of the game. Frankly, I’ve never trained seriously for two marathons in one year, it just takes too much out of me. Like you suggest, I could always just push my base further back while incorporating the Cinny race. You’re right, I have no real time goals for Cinny, partly due to the fact I have no real idea what I’m capable of right now. But based on last season I expect really good things this year! Thanks for the input!!!

MikE

Ryan
    Keymaster
    MothAudio wrote:
    No, I’m not racing it…I have no real time goals for Cinny, partly due to the fact I have no real idea what I’m capable of right now.

In that case, I would strongly suggest base training right through it. Otherwise, you are cutting the key component of marathon training for the one that matters short in order to prepare for one that you have no goals for.

MothAudio

Would I be better served if I DIDN’T even do the Cinny race, and instead just focused on base building prior to jumping into my marathon schedule? Everyone I talked to strongly suggested I not try to BQ [in 2005 or 2006] without doing a marathon beforehand. I’m confused on this point. So you think anything other than a race effort at Cinny is not in my best interest? I figured if nothing else it would be a confidence booster. Thanks again.

MikE

Ryan
    Keymaster

I don’t think it would hurt but I personally would rather save my money and do a 26 or 27 mile long run from home instead of paying $50 or more for a training run. That, of course, is your call, though.

MothAudio

I’ve only run Columbus and Boston so I’d like to do something else. I’ve heard some pretty good things about Cinny so there are others reasons for scheduling it [road trip w/teammate], even if I do it as a [expensive] long run.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Well, it’s all your call of course. My only suggestion at this point would be to base train through it since you’re not treating it as a race.

r-at-work

just an opinion…

I did used a 20 mile race in the fall as a training run… several goals for the ‘race’ were to: 1. stay calm enough to hold the pace as defined by my coaches, 2. practice drinking from cups instead of carrying my own water as I would normally do during a long run and 3. get my long run in for the weekend with a few minor clothing changes(got to test that stuff out)…

alll those goals were realized AND I had the additional benefit of a huge confidence builder when I sped up the last two miles (to marathon pace) and passed a dozen or so people… WOW… first time in my life I did that and it was such a morale booster… ended up being a PR as well since my training up till then was the best I had ever done…

it can work well… and I didn’t taper for it either…

-Rita

Zeke

I looked at this a little more this morning and here are some thoughts I had.

1) You ran a 1:39 half in the fall. That calculates to around a 3:30. Why are you only shooting for 3:50 at Cincy? That race is still 15 weeks away. I think you could train hard during that time and take a crack at 3:35. No time like the present. Pfitz has 12-week programs that you could follow.

2) If you run hard at Cincy, that 20k 3-4 weeks later could be difficult.

3) I believe someone else mentioned this but July 9 to Oct 16 is only 14 weeks, not 18. June 12 would get you to 18 weeks.

4) I don’t have a huge problem with only 7 weeks for base building from May 16 to July 1 because the start of Pfitz’s program is basically base-building.

5) You mentioned reducing mileage after the Aug 24 half. If you’re following Pfitz’s program, the mileage doesn’t really drop. You’d still be in the 50-54 mpw range.

6) For the most part, I don’t mind your racing schedule. Just make sure that your Sept 3 race is truly run at MP – don’t get carried away. Sometimes that’s hard to do when you’re in a race. Finally, I’d take a 2nd look at that 10k two weeks before your goal race. My choice would be to find something a week earlier OR run a 5k instead of a 10k.

Zeke
    MothAudio wrote:
    No, I’m not racing it. When I posted about my BQ effort last year everyone said I shouldn’t try to BQ without having run at least one [1] marathon beforehand. In my case it’s been since 2000 and that was a 5+ hour finish.

My first 3 marathons sucked, then I took a few years off during grad school. Once I got serious again I followed Daniels program and dropped my PR from 3:17 to 3:03 without running a marathon for 3.5 years.

Like I said before, why wait? No one knows what can happen within the next 10 months. Go for it in May and again in Oct.

MothAudio

Rita, I’ve used races as training runs before. Great way to get in your long!

Zeke said, “Why are you only shooting for 3:50 at Cincy?”. Two reasons, the Cinny race is not as flat as Columbus and I know I’ll be so much stronger in the Fall. I’m already a year ahead, there is no reason to rush since I’m pointing toward the 2007 Boston race. Since I’m not sure how I’m handling the Cinny race I’ll just have be flexible for the 20k. It’ a tough race. Thanks for the correction on the start date for my 18 week schedule!

“You mentioned reducing mileage after the Aug 24 half. If you’re following Pfitz’s program, the mileage doesn’t really drop.” That was in reference to the base building phaze, not the Pfitz plan.

I originally thought about having the BQ be my 1st marathon back but now I think it would be helpful to do a “test run” beforehand. Working on running through water stations and visualizing my BQ race. I also have some cramping isues that need to be addressed.

Thanks for the input.

MikE

Zeke
    MothAudio wrote:

I originally thought about having the BQ be my 1st marathon back but now I think it would be helpful to do a “test run” beforehand. Working on running through water stations and visualizing my BQ race. I also have some cramping isues that need to be addressed.

I don’t think there’s any problem with that. I just think you should train hard for the next 15 weeks – race the half marathon in April and see where you’re at heading into the marathon. Base your May marathon goal on that half, rather than just throwing out 3:50 15 weeks before the race.

MothAudio

“… rather than just throwing out 3:50 15 weeks before the race.”

That’s exacty what I was doing. I’ve been a bit lax the last 6 weeks and just started back up. This is the 1st Winter I’ll trained through in some time. I think I could have qualified last year if I’d not been focusing on the half training. Building on last two years and combined with an early start this year I can’t wait to get a crack at some races!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.