2005 Resolutions and Running Goals…

Welcome! Forums Running Forum 2005 Resolutions and Running Goals…

This topic contains 20 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Peter 13 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Peter

Seems like a good time to put this out there. What are your running goals for the upcoming year? More importantly, what are you resolving to do to achieve them? I’ll go 1st…

1st – Better consistency and more miles. 2005 miles is a modest goal for 2005, but I need to start somewhere. That’s a measly 38+ miles per week. I should be able to do that in 6 days of running a week, no problem. Starts with 500 miles in the 1st three months and goes from there.

2nd – Race more. One measly race (and only a One-Mile at that!) aint’ enough. I’d like to do 1-2 5ks, an 8k in Madison in April and Milwaukee in September, a couple of 10ks, including December in Madison, and a 1/2 marathon in May or September. Finally, a marathon in October.

3rd – Build up enough of a base from January-June that I will be in good shape to train for a marathon this fall.

4th – find out which marathon Ryan’s running this fall, and then run a different one! 😆 Seriously, train and race either Chicago (1st choice) or Lakefront. If I do Chicago, get a competitive starting position.

5th – some goals for specific distances…

5k – 17:40

5m – 29:20

10k – 36:50

10m – 63:30

13.1 – 1:24:00

26.2 – 2:59:59

6th – Have more fun, and strive to improve at the same time.

How this will play out is anyones guess. But if I focus on the 1st 3 goals, the rest should fall into place. Happy New Year everyone!

Peter

I havent really come up with my goals yet. I am in the middle of training for a 50K on February 20.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Get back to 2002 levels or better, both in terms of training and racing. Of course, getting back to there in training will result in getting back to there in racing. Timing? Well, I’ll have to get there in training before I have any hope to get back there in racing and I will need to be there by the fall racing season so I guess the training better get started soon.

ScottP

Hmmm….lets see..

– Stay injury free

– Train more systematically

– Race a May or June 5k under 19:20

– Run DamnTuffBluff 50k trail (to finish)

– Race a fall 10 k under 41:00

– Stay fresh for another 25 years of running

Scott

TriBob

Get over PF.

Complete Ironman Lake Placid

Attempt BQ in March and/or Nov.

elkid

I have a lot of lofty goals this year! Last year was stolen from me – this year is mine. I want it all. This will be one badass year where I will surprise everyone, especially myself.

Triathlons: Philly tri. Complete my first and final big race: Ironman Lake Placid. My only goal: to finish in time without going to the hospital afterwards (which sadly is a real possibility). Then just sticking to sprint tris for fun.

Biking: I might work the ability I have, in either a brevet or a century. We’ll see.

Swimming: Consistently go to the gym 3x a week to swim.

Running: I had hoped to race less than I did this year, but the schedule is saying that’s a pipedream. Currently includes 6 marathons and 9 half marathons. Maintain my motivation while continuing to improve. Bust all PRs including the only 2 PRs standing from 2003: the 7M and the 10M.

Miscellaneous: Do yoga and weights more regularly. Drop the final 20 pounds. Learn to deal better with my body’s physiology and limitations.

I shall do all this without bringing myself to the brink (of course, this assumes no familial drama or emergency).

Ed 1

My biggest need as you all know is consistency and more miles. A major base is needed to achieve my lofty goal. I also need to have more fun and I think racing with (behind) you guys is the best way to do that – more races = more fun.

Zeke
    elkid wrote:
    Currently includes 6 marathons and 9 half marathons.

You’re going to do 6 marathon, 9 halfs, an Ironman and, I presume, other shorter running races and tris?

I’m no expert, but that sounds excessive if you’re hoping to perform well each time out.

Double

In 2005 I want to continue beating Woody like a drum.

elkid
    Zeke wrote:
    You’re going to do 6 marathon, 9 halfs, an Ironman and, I presume, other shorter running races and tris?

I’m no expert, but that sounds excessive if you’re hoping to perform well each time out.

This from someone who ran almost 2,800 miles last year! FYI one of the marathons is part of the Ironman. I’m new here, but I’m thinking my motivation and goals are quite different from some of the higher mileage people. I have few A races, but love to race, and I race often. I don’t expect, nor do I need, to do super well each time. I’m a back-to-midpacker who’s content just pleasing herself. Rarely do I win anything, and I’m fine with that. I know I’ll probably never BQ – big whoop. Some of the races I do there is no hope of doing well, simply because of the course layouts or when they’re run. Races sub for my tempo and speedwork, sometimes for long runs, sometimes to test myself. For that reason most races are not for specific time goals, but for a specific training purpose.

Is it excessive? Probably. But that’s me. That’s what I do.

Zeke

I’m thinking my motivation and goals are quite different from some of the higher mileage people.

That’s fine. There’s nothing wrong with being out there for the experiences. Just wanted to make sure you’re aware that you’ll be sacrifing performance in order to race so much. Sounds like you already know that.

Peter

Elkid – I have a question for you…

You say in the post above that you ran almost 2800 miles last year – but in your post in the 2004 mileage thread, you said you ran 1400 miles. Which one is right? Or are you talking about Zeke’s mileage?

Just curious…

Woody

Hey Peter,

I saw you had surgery for a hernia – on another thread, or an inguinal strain . I’ve been having this inside right thigh and into the right of my groin into my ab strain for awhile now. I don’t have any bulge indicating a hernia. Infact I went to a GP and he said I didn’t have a hernia . I’m curious what you felt and how you went about fixing it?

Thanks ,

Woody

Zeke
    Peter wrote:
    Or are you talking about Zeke’s mileage?

I think she was referring to my mileage.

Peter
    Woody wrote:
    I saw you had surgery for a hernia – on another thread, or an inguinal strain. I’ve been having this inside right thigh and into the right of my groin into my ab strain for awhile now. I don’t have any bulge indicating a hernia. Infact I went to a GP and he said I didn’t have a hernia .

I had pain in my right groin area on and off for about a year, starting soon after Lakefront in 2003. It would surface, bother me, then go away. It became worse last spring, to the point where if I sneezed, I needed to sit down or lean against a wall, b/c the pain was excruciating. Pain stayed in that area – never went into my abs. I went to a Internal Med Doc in July, and said it was an Inguinal Hernia. A referral to a surgeon 3 days later confirmed it. I think there was a minor bulge, but it was not really noticable outwardly. I continued to run, and had surgery at the end of August. Started running about 3 weeks later, and have been doing 20-30 mpw from Oct to Dec. Only problem is I’m starting to have same pains again, just when I’ve started bumping up the mileage. 😕 Maybe I’m just getting old…

Hope your running is going well.

Peter

elkid
    Zeke wrote:
    Peter wrote:
    Or are you talking about Zeke’s mileage?

I think she was referring to my mileage.

Yes, I was. I was shy of 1500.

Woody

Thanks for the info Peter!

r-at-work

this has been bothering me since it was posted… last year I had such clear cut goals.. this year, well it’s sorta “more of the same”, which seems kinda wishy-washy… I mean I can quantify it a bit…

1. stay injury free in order to…

2. increase the miles with an eye towards…

3. even better race times

and while I’m at it, those extra miles should mean I’ll

4. lose the weight I gained (after I cut my mileage after the marathon and then ate too many Christmas cookies)…

there… I feel better now…

-Rita

SwampTiger

I’m struggling to come up with anything much different than you Rita.

1. Stay injury free

2. Increase miles

3. New PRs

My ultimate goal (never before written out loud) is a sub 3, but I’d be happy with progress toward that goal this year. I don’t really know how much improvement to hope for until I get farther into the training.

Zeke
    SwampTiger wrote:

1. Stay injury free

2. Increase miles

3. New PRs

These sound good to me too. I guess my main goal would be to get my marathon PR closer to 2:50, than 3:00. A gal I finished about 10 seconds behind in a 10k this year went on to run 2:53 at TCM. I’d take that 5 minute PR (but sub-2:50 would be even better 8) ).

MarkRunner

Consistency – Over 2,400 miles

Racing – 5K under 17:30, 10K under 36:30

Fun – Keep enjoying running

If I focus on the last one, I am not too worried about the others. They will come.

Mark

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.