5k race report

Welcome! Forums Running Forum 5k race report

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      pski
      Participant

Jinglebell Milwaukee at the ZOO. I’m pretty fired up, wondering if there is any residual marathon fitness lurking in my pudgy body. Back up 6 lbs from Oct 5. I don’t mean to beat weight to death, but it really limits this machine. Maybe it’s become mental. Well anyway, a haphazard start ands a large stream of people, more than 1100 runners and then the walkers. I’m running with Jamie Walz, which was worth the price of admission all by itself. Mile one 6:32, mile 2 6:30 and I’m thinking I’m in trouble but keep churning, spitting all over my own face. My look at the clock was 20:17, but the logged me at 20:24 I think. Jamie was right on my heels. His 9 year old Christian ran in 28:30, awesome job!! His 7 year old Nathan ran in just under 30 minutes. I was gassed and amazed that was all I could muster on a perfect morning for racing. 5k pace 6:32, marathon pace 6:47. Go figure. PSKi

Ryan
      Keymaster

I see you figured out these oh so complex forums. 😉

What’s wrong with you? Can’t even break 20 minutes? You’re right back where you were, minus about 20 pounds, in January. 😛

Woody
      Participant

Nice MP RUN!

Tyrone
      Participant

if your going for marathon, thats ok, but if your going to make your 5k better, you should be doing anaerobic workouts, and speed workouts. this will give you the edge you need for the 5k, if yoru marathon pace is 6:47, you should easily be able to run under 17 even, with a little speed and anaerobic work!

Ryan
      Keymaster

Tyrone, maybe you don’t know Pski well enough yet. No matter what he does, he seems to have one speed. He can do the periodized approach, he can do the speed workouts, it doesn’t really change much. He just seems to be built for the longer races.

Woody
      Participant

Ty,

I don’t know were your getting those numbers from probably a calculator

But you’ll find as you run more and experience more runners that everybody is different, some are built for endurance like MR. Pski. Although he is much faster than 20 minutes for a 5k , that race was just a fun run for him. He still is a much better endurance “king” than “speed” king. Pski can hold a pace for a marathon within 30 secs from his 5k pace. In contrast I can run a 5 k in 5:32’s (17:10) but the best I can muster for a marathon is 6:50’s. (2:59:30) go figure? For most people a 60 secs different difference is a good estimate. But There are always exceptions and with Pski and myself you can see two total opposite extremes. We are all built different

Woody

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.