A long run perspective

Welcome! Forums Running Forum A long run perspective

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Double 14 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Double

I have come to the personal conclusion that I can run my most effective marathon on very little long runs. Three runs around the 20 range in a 3 month period would suffice. Now I have the advantage of coming down (ultras) to run marathons, so that tends to be an advantage.

I’m not recommending this for everyone, I think most people should do more of the long stuff, but it seems to corrupt my leg speed something fierce.

Man, after my badly needed time off, I’m thinking of lighting up the burners for another marathon pr attempt. I’ve been talking so much trash lately that I’m afraid my mouth is writing checks my a$$ can’t cash.

What ideas does the peanut gallery have on a fast fall marathon? I may be willing to make a road trip. When is CIM? Any good cash for master class?

It all seems impossible right now, but I have a tough time not staying motivated. At least I’ve experienced the running yourself into the ground syndrome. It kind of makes you think.

magpie

TCM might be one to consider — I believe that at least the conditions there tend to be a bit more stable than they have been at CIM (which typically is in early December, but the scuttlebutt after last year’s was that it would be moved up a few weeks into November) of late. Either is likely to be good.

Double

Sorry for the ignorance, but is TCM = Twin Cities Marathon or The Chicago Marathon?

I ran Chicago as a training run last year in 2:48 and feel the course is about as fast as you could get. Plus, Woody had the great set-up with the lodging. The wife really enjoyed going there.

I believe Zeke had me run part of the Twin Cities course when we did intervals up at St. Thomas University. Looked like a scenic course with some good “rollers” in there.

Either one of those is close enough to drive to, so that would be a plus. I question if I can get to my ideal condition by early October, but if I can be running again by early June pain free, then I may be able to express lane train to a pr.

I have a friend who has taken home the top Masters cash at Quad Cities the past two years in 2:38. That is close enough to do as well, but the race is at the end of September. To break 2:40, I would need to totally over haul the aerobic systems ala Ingrid Kristiansen type training or get on the pain train with “the Beck program” as has been touted here before.

Kristiansen might be the way to go for me. I’d have to really cash in all the “get out of jail free cards” at home, which, last I looked are non-existant.

My best marathon comes after an extended time off, low mileage (50’s), and more of the short faster sessions. I think I could tweak it, check progress on the local race circuit, set the kentucky windage and just sign up for one that feels right.

I am also thinking Boston in 2005.

Anonymous

Double, it was great to see you out on the trails yesterday. You looked good and smooth but I take it your not feeling so great. Are you still planning on running the Ice Age 50?

Zeke

Double,

Yeah, TCM = Twin Cities Marathon. It’s a great race and if you’d like to run it you are more than welcomed to stay with me. Heck, bring your whole family, there’s plenty of room. However, you need to decide within a couple of weeks. Registration is opening soon and last year it closed in about 3 weeks.

If you are interested in Quad Cities, let me know. A friend of mine is in charge of recruiting the elite runners. He’d probably give you a comp entry form at the very least.

Birkierunner

Twin Cities has a decent payout for masters runners as well.

Birkierunner

Twin Cities has a decent payout for masters runners as well.

Double

I must give this more thought later. TCM does have some serious talent there. I’d have to run around 2:30 to be a factor as a master. Heck, Eddy won it as a master and those other guys are haulin.’

Quad looks smaller, but Sept. 26 leaves little room for error.

Yes, I am hurting. I will end my season after Ice Age. I’d run that race on one leg. I’m just flat wore out and my leg is not functioning properly. Don’t know what the problem is, but I am anticipating some serious down time will rectify things.

More later…

Zeke

If you could run 2:40 solo, WhistleStop would be a good one. I think the winner is usually around 2:45. No money though.

Zeke

Double,

I just looked at the Quad Cities website. They pay 10 deep overall and top-3 masters. Looks like Stefanovic won $650 last year (7th overall and 1st master). It’s only 1 week before TCM, so you wouldn’t lose much training time.

Double

Thanks Zeke, maybe a Quad Cities effort and then another one as a road trip. Better yet, Quad then a low-key ultra. Ahh….the choices are wonderous.

How about you man? A fall effort in the works?

Zeke
    Double wrote:
    How about you man? A fall effort in the works?

Gonna concentrate on my half PR of 1:20:21. I might even take a crack at Quad. I would at least like to get under my recent best half of 1:23:04.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.