After ‘depressing’ Mombasa, Bekele looks ahead to Osaka title defense

Welcome! Forums Running Forum After ‘depressing’ Mombasa, Bekele looks ahead to Osaka title defense

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Ryan 11 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia – Will we ever see the best again of Kenenisa Bekele, World and Olympic 10,000m champion, after his shock exit from the 12km race at the World Cross Country Championships in Mombasa last March?

It is a question that even the great man has asked himself time and again as he recovers from his forgettable experience in Kenya’s coastal city.

“When I watch the tapes of the race, I am caught in two minds,” he said speaking nearly two months after his impressive winning streak over the mud came to an end in the most unexpected of circumstances.

“A part of me thinks that maybe I could have run differently that day. But I did not commit a crime by dropping out. I tried all I can, but it simply was not possible for me to continue. I know it is a one-time thing. I am not a loser, but as a sportsman, I have accepted that I cannot always win either.”

IAAF article

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.