Another warm up question: Half Marathon

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Another warm up question: Half Marathon

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Husker 13 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Husker

What sort of warm up do I need to do before my half marathon this Saturday? I was thinking of doing 1 or 2 miles then a couple of strides a bit faster than race pace, then stretching, followed by easy jogging for a few minutes finishing this within 5 minutes of the start of the race.

Sorry for all the questions about race day warm ups, it’s just something I’ve never given much thought to until recently, so I have no experience in deciding what to do.

Thanks

Ed 1

I am in the same boat as you – but I know the guys around here pretty well. The first thing you’ll here is that you have to find what works for you. In December at Jingle Bell (10K) a bunch of us did a short (1-1.5 miles) very light jog and some stretching and that was it. I had never before warmed up but will from now on. Unfortunately you are going to need a lot of experimentation to find the best for you – as I will be going through this year and next year as well.

Zeke
    Husker wrote:
    What sort of warm up do I need to do before my half marathon this Saturday? I was thinking of doing 1 or 2 miles then a couple of strides a bit faster than race pace, then stretching, followed by easy jogging for a few minutes finishing this within 5 minutes of the start of the race.

Sorry for all the questions about race day warm ups, it’s just something I’ve never given much thought to until recently, so I have no experience in deciding what to do.

Thanks

I think it depends on the shape you’re in and what your goals are for the race.

If you’re just hoping to finish the half, then you can use the early miles as a warmup.

If you don’t have any runs in the 13-15+ mile range, you probably don’t need 2 mile warmup.

If you’ve got some long runs and you’re looking to race the half, I’d say 2 miles, stretch, and a few strides is plenty. This is what I did 2 weeks ago before my half.

If you’re using the half as part of a marathon workout, you might want a long warmup and long cooldown, which would allow you to get 20-22 miles in for the day.

Husker

Thanks for the replies guys. I have done plenty of long runs in the past few months and I definitely want to race this half. My ultimate goal would be sub-1:25:00. Things would have to go perfect for that due a hilly course and I haven’t really tapered this week. Regardless I am resolved to go sub 1:28:00, no excuses.

I’ll do ~2 miles for a warm up with light stretching and a few strides.

Ed 1

Best of luck to you.

Zeke
    Husker wrote:
    My ultimate goal would be sub-1:25:00. Things would have to go perfect for that due a hilly course and I haven’t really tapered this week. Regardless I am resolved to go sub 1:28:00, no excuses.

I’ll do ~2 miles for a warm up with light stretching and a few strides.

Husker,

Given that you just ran 17:15, I think you are VASTLY underestimating your half marathon potential. I’m probably in about 18:15 shape and I ran just under 1:25 two weeks ago. Also, the difference between 1:25 and 1:28 is huge. Someone in 17:15 shape should be able to “jog” a 1:28.

Can’t wait to hear how it goes. I’d bet that you’re closer to 1:22, than to 1:28.

Husker
    Zeke wrote:
    Husker,

Given that you just ran 17:15, I think you are VASTLY underestimating your half marathon potential. I’m probably in about 18:15 shape and I ran just under 1:25 two weeks ago. Also, the difference between 1:25 and 1:28 is huge. Someone in 17:15 shape should be able to “jog” a 1:28.

Can’t wait to hear how it goes. I’d bet that you’re closer to 1:22, than to 1:28.

Thanks for the confidence! For me though, my short game is much better developed than my long game. I’ve been running for less than two years, and for the first year I was averaging under 35 miles a week , so my endurance is not up to par. It’s something I’m working on. Oh and I just threw the 1:28 figure out there because my PR is 1:28:41. And I think I will definitely run sub-1:25:00 this year, but this race may not be the time I do that. Either way, I’m going to give it everything I’ve got tomorrow.

I’ll let you all know how it goes…

Husker
    Zeke wrote:
    Husker,

Zeke, you are the man! I ran 1:22:30! Shaved 6:11 off my PR, and I could have probably gone faster. I set out to run a 1:25:00, or basically 6:30 per mile. I ran the first mile nice and easy, chatting a bit with other runners and getting into the flow. Well at the first mile marker I was at 6:30 exactly, which was a sign of things to come. It was a huge boost to me mentally that the mile felt more like 7:30, but ended up right on pace. The rest of the miles went like this:

6:17

6:25

6:18

6:43 (big uphill on this one)

6:11

6:22

6:16

6:05 (going back down the aforementioned hill)

6:22

6:19

6:13

5:54 for the 13th mile!!!! This leads me to believe I could have run even faster overall.

Last .1 mile in :29 – Now that last bit was pure pain.

Not sure of my place overall as the results aren’t posted yet, but first in the age group (but really, I don’t care much about the place, I’m a time-oriented guy).

It was amazing, I felt great for 13 miles. I kept waiting for my pace to catch up with me, but I was still able to really pour it on in the end. I felt like I made a huge leap today. It was one of those races where nobody passed me the entire time, which is always a great feeling.

Zeke, I gotta thank you for your post. More than once during the race I thought to myself, “I’m gonna crash if I keep up this pace”, but then I’d think, “well maybe that Zeke guy knew what he was talking about.” I’ve always been so far off predicted race times as the length of the race increases, but I think that’s turning around as I’ve been increasing the mileage and following the guidelines of Jack Daniels and Pfitz/Douglas. Still, this site’s calculator predicts a 1:19:20 half marathon from a 17:15 5K, so I’ve still got work to do. But now I know I will make it. 1:22:30 is a hell of a lot closer than 1:28:41.

whew, that was a lot of typing! Time to reward myself with an ice bath, Boston is only 8 weeks away!

Zeke

Zeke, you are the man!

No Husker, you’re the man!!! That is so awesome. I saw the sub-1:20 conversion and I thought that would be pretty tough. Not that a 17:15 guy shouldn’t be able to run sub-1:20, but for a 1:28 guy to make that large a leap is sometimes unfathomable mentally. Now that you’re a 1:22:30 guy, you know that sub-1:20 is possible. More importantly, you’ve have to huge confidence boosting PRs leading up to Boston. Keep up the great work!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Husker, good job. One of the reasons I actually don’t like paying too much attention to splits in a race is just what you stated. You hear times that don’t sound right and you psych yourself out. Especially in road races, this is frequently caused by inaccurately placed mile markers. In your case, it sounds like you were simply much more fit than you were giving yourself credit for. Sometimes, it’s best to just go out and race and let the time take care of itself.

What a great way to head into Boston. How many previously sub-1:30 runners can claim that they took over 6:00 off their half marathon PR in one shot?

Husker

Thanks guys! 24 hours later and I’m still on a natural high from that race. For the first time I am giving serious consideration to going for sub-3:00 in Boston.

TimRuns

Nice time Husker! Looks like you’re in shape for Boston!

MothAudio

“What a great way to head into Boston. How many previously sub-1:30 runners can claim that they took over 6:00 off their half marathon PR in one shot?”

No kidding! Great race Husker. I love the part where “6:30 felt like 7:30”. Don’t you love that!

MikE

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.