Any final words of encouragement…

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Any final words of encouragement…

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Run 14 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Run

final thoughts, inspirational stories, good luck wishes, things to think about, etc…etc for a first time marathoner?

Sunday is the big day so the countdown has begun. My ITB problem is about 95% gone, so I might be close to 100% by Sunday 8:30AM.

Thanks for all the advice along the way, Ill post a report sometime next week.

Zeke

Some final thoughts for a first time marathoner…

Don’t spend all day on your feet at the expo. Get your # and get out.

Lay everything out the night before. Pin # to shirt. Attach chip to shoe. Etc.

Don’t eat anything different on race morning (race weekend).

Adjust race plan for weather conditions. 85 and sunny is different than 50 and overcast.

Most importantly…

Know what you are capable and pace yourself accordingly. For example, if you are shooting for 3:30 (or 8:00 pace), your first mile should not be any faster than 8:00. If it is, slow down immediately. I’ve read too many race reports where people were running 15+ seconds per mile faster than their goal pace. They always mention how easy it feels. Then 15 miles later they’re running 1:00+ slower than goal pace. Trust me, those minutes add up a lot quicker than you think. Running just 15 seconds per mile too fast can cause major problems down the road.

Ryan
    Keymaster

1) Do not spend a lot of time at the expo. Get in, get out. If there’s a speaker you really want to see, get there early enough to get a seat and bring a bottle of water.

2) Have faith in your training and in your race plan. Do not bank time, do not go too fast, especially in the first 5-10 miles.

I don’t believe in luck so I never wish people good luck. You’ve prepared, you have your race plan, now it’s time to execute. Have a good one.

Anonymous

Run, I’ll be there on Sunday also. Jersey Shore was my first marathon in 2000.

Some Advice:

Think positive and have faith in your training. You want to be standing on the starting line thinking I’m going to have a great race.

I like to have a plan for the first 10 miles and then take it from there. Expect the first few to be incredibly easy. Don’t over exert yourself in the beginning. You will be fired up, don’t let it sacrifice your race because you worked too hard. Your competition will go out too fast, happens every time. The race starts at 20 miles and it’s fun catching people.

Refuel consistent with how you trained. If you trained with gu and water, take gu and water in the race. Hopefully you know what works.

I like to hit area’s prone to chafing with vasoline. They’ll have vasoline and drinks at the start (I like to bring my own). Not a big fan of rubbing it all over my feet. Again, stick to what worked in training but you want to be as comfortable as possible.

We’ll be sitting at the start at Sandy Hook for awhile. Not a bad idea to have a lite blanket. I’m bringing a garbage bag for the start as well.

Follow Zeke’s advice on food and pre-race routine.

Weather looking good so far, mid 50’s and maybe a slight headwind. I’ll take it. Happy to catch up with you at the start if you want.

I plan on running 6:15 for the first 10 and will take it from there. My goal is 2:45.

Good Luck!

Steve

Ed 1

Have fun but stick tight to your training pace ❗ at all costs ❗ If during the last 2 miles then step it up and finish strong. I did not hit a wall at mile 20 it arrived physically at 23 and then mentally at 25. I still finished strong and proud. make sure that you have a significant other or very close person at the finish line for you to share the moment with. I met my wife just 3 feet from the finish line a balled like a baby in her arms – a very proud moment that we shared in a very intimite (non sexual) way. We both look back to that moment very fondly. 😉 Any way trust your training and stick to that pace go no faster.

r-at-work

all great advice… then

as soon as possible afterwards… if you can stand it… ice bath…

then eat, drink, walk and nap (not necessarily in that order)…

walk the next few days & be proud of your accomplishment

and think about the next goal…

I got very depressed about a week after my first marathon, till my husband printed off the application for the next years race… this is a huge BIG deal and you’ve invested time, energy & emotion into it, but when it’s over there has to be something else to take it’s place…

but till then enjoy the moments… all 26.2 miles of them… oh, and don’t try anything new on race day… well not till after the race anyway…

have fun…

-R

Bart

One thing I’d add to the above is that if you’re meeting someone after the race, be sure you know exactly where to meet. After my first marathon, all I wanted to do was get off my feet. Instead I had to walk through the crowds looking for my friend. Not fun.

Have a good time,

Bart

Anonymous

That doesn’t mean you’re just goofing around in the beginning. I just try to get as many miles behind me before I really clamp down mentally. Finding a “nice pack” to pace off of is helpful for this. I suppose everyone could say just to keep pushing the pace when things get tough but if your running beyond yourself or just having a bad day that’s like fighting a war without a gun. All the best to you!

MikE

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.