Are there any free coaches out there?

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Are there any free coaches out there?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  ferris 14 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Ed 1

In case this idea does not work (and I’ll know it in less than 2 months). I will want a free coach to get me to a sub three marathon for next fall. Any known out there? Or can anyone here coach me to a sub three – obviously I am willing to try anything. I will do whatever it takes to drop to a sub three. I’ll post today’s run results tomorrow.

Zeke

Ed,

I’ve been lurking here, just biting my tongue. I don’t agree with your current approach either. I’ll be interested in hearing how it goes. If you are going to increase your distance at 6:00 pace by 1 mile every week, how do you figure that you’ll know within 2 months whether or not this will work? Does that mean that if you can do 8 miles at 6:00 pace, that you can do a marathon in sub-3:00?

As for coaching, a buddy of mine and me are kicking around the idea of starting a website and offering coaching. We’ll probably start by focusing on local (Twin Cities) runners, but we’d be glad to help you out. Maybe you can be our guinnea pig. We’ll offer free service in exchange for using your testimonial on the site. However, I won’t guarantee that you’ll go from 3:35 to sub-3. That’s a HUGE jump.

If you’d like to learn more email me at [email protected].

P.S. You need to update the signature on your posts.

Ed 1

I have 13 months to cut that 35 minutes or so – it must be possible – I refuse to believe that it is not. Otherwise the Olympians would be older than hell. It would take more than 10 years to get to Olympic marathon pace from an average paced first marathon.

I would give as detailed testimonials daily as you could want. I would like to discuss a format for the testimonials and even the daily journal that you would be more than ok to publish. I would love to help you get a side business started in that respect.

My goal of the sub three requires a 6:30 pace to be safely ahead of the sub-three. If I can run 8-10 at the six – then the rest (18.2 – 16.2) at a more comfortable pace say 6:30-7:00mm then I’ll achieve my goal.

Any way I am just going to give this a couple of months. By that time you should have a 10-11 month schedule set up for me. I could be the shave off 30-40 minute tester. Work on a major speed training schedule – if we can make it work you would sure as hell make out like a bandit.

Ryan
    Keymaster
    Ed 1 wrote:
    Otherwise the Olympians would be older than hell. It would take more than 10 years to get to Olympic marathon pace from an average paced first marathon.

Actually, most Olympic marathoners do take around 15 years, if not more, to get to the level they are at. The fact is they usually start running competitively in their pre-teen years or early teens and few world class marathons are run by people younger than late 20s. They usually peak in their early to mid-30s.

Zeke

I would give as detailed testimonials daily as you could want.

The testimonial would be more after the fact, like “I shaved 30 minutes from my 1st marathon by working with these brillant coaches…”

My goal of the sub three requires a 6:30 pace to be safely ahead of the sub-three.

Ed, I’d admire your determination, however your thinking is all screwed up. 6:30 pace is a 2:50 marathon!!! Sub-3 is closer to 6:50 pace. When you start getting into that range, 20 seconds a mile for 26 miles is HUGE. You don’t train at 2:50 pace to run 3:00, that’s not how it works. And you don’t train a 6:00 pace in order to do your marathon training at 6:30 pace in order to do your marathon at 6:50 pace. Sure maybe you have some tempo runs scattered throughout your training that is closer 2:50 pace, maybe even faster, but you make it sound like all your training should be at 2:50 pace.

By that time you should have a 10-11 month schedule set up for me. Work on a major speed training schedule.

If we’re going to do this, I’ll set up a program that I’ve had success with. I can’t design something with “major speed” just because you think it’ll work. Then when/if it fails, it’ll reflect poorly on me.

Since you have a year, I would be willing to do 2 cycles. One focused on building speed in the spring for some shorter races, then another geared towards a fall marathon.

Anyway, I just emailed you some questions, so I can get a better sense of your history.

finnegan

there’s free coaching all over this website. It doesn’t have to be daily doses either. A motivated person shouldn’t need constant instruction, just a shove in the right direction every once in a while. There is more than enough information on this website (that is free thanks to ryan) to get someone of your age and running history to sub 3 in a somewhat timely manner.

Sorry Zeke, not trying to cut out your business. If I was in your town I’d be looking you up.

There’s probably 5-6 posters out here whose hands i’d put my training in…of course pski would be blowing my hair back about once a week for going on benders in vegas, but it’s only cuz he cares…. 😉

Ryan
    Keymaster
    finnegan wrote:
    of course pski would be blowing my hair back about once a week for going on benders in vegas, but it’s only cuz he cares…. 😉

He’d only do that if the benders affected your training. Note that he doesn’t get on Double’s back for a night out on the town. He only gets on Cameron’s back for letting the back to school frenzy get in the way of his training.

Ed, if you want coaching and as long as his name came up, Pski offered free coaching to a few locals for Lakefront this year and the one who stuck it out and didn’t back away is getting in real tough shape. Maybe he’ll follow through again with a plan next year.

Zeke

There’s probably 5-6 posters out here whose hands i’d put my training in…of course pski would be blowing my hair back about once a week for going on benders in vegas, but it’s only cuz he cares….

No problem. The only thing with 5-6 posters is sometimes you have to sift through everything and find what you like. At least if you have a coach, you’re going to one source for information – not that you can’t always get a 2nd opinion. Plus a coach is going to have more of an vested interest than others.

I agree, Pski would be another good source.

Anonymous

No problem. The only thing with 5-6 posters is sometimes you have to sift through everything and find what you like. At least if you have a coach, you’re going to one source for information – not that you can’t always get a 2nd opinion. Plus a coach is going to have more of an vested interest than others.

I shoulda clarified that better, I agree, 1 coach is the way to go. 5 or 6 people out here who would make good coaches.

Ed 1 wrote:
    I have 13 months to cut that 35 minutes or so – it must be possible – I refuse to believe that it is not. Otherwise the Olympians would be older than hell. It would take more than 10 years to get to Olympic marathon pace from an average paced first marathon.

A vast majority of Olympians undertake the proper progression of prerequisites so that their marathon debuts are assuredly significantly faster than “average paced”.

My goal of the sub three requires a 6:30 pace to be safely ahead of the sub-three. If I can run 8-10 at the six – then the rest (18.2 – 16.2) at a more comfortable pace say 6:30-7:00mm then I’ll achieve my goal.

There is much to learn — however, it should be noted the a needlessly difficult route is not the only option. Learning from the mistakes — and successes — of others would be the wisest choice.

ferris

Hey, Pski…..just out of curiosity, how much of your training in based on Pfitz, and how much have you tweaked it? I know its a blend…like a cabernet-sauvignon. 🙂

I used advanced marathoning before, really liked it, tweaked it some also. Just wanted your input.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.