arm exercises

Welcome! Forums Running Forum arm exercises

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  cesar 11 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

cesar
    Participant

hi everyone, i would like to tone my arms , what kind of exercises do you do to strengthen the arms???? thanks a lot

Ryan
    Keymaster

I often prefer the KISS method. The simpler (and less time consuming) the better. I remember a few suggestions a long time ago to just grab a couple of rock of a good size to hold in your hands while out on a run. Run with them until your arms are tired, then drop them (carefully, don't want to break a toe 😉 ). I also occasionally will take 10-15 pound dumbbells, one in each hand, and swing my arms like a sprinting motion. Other than that, maybe occasional pushups (primarily chest and triceps), dips (shoulders and triceps), or pullups (usually assisted in some way, upper back, biceps, forearms). In general, though, I actually do very little upper body work and, while my arms aren't big, they actually tend to be very well toned when I'm in good running shape. Even if I haven't done any specific arm strengthening exercises. Remember, toning is more about burning the fat off the muscle than building muscle.

Most of the exercises I listed, especially the first two, are very running specific. Seeing as most of us are interested in our goals primarily as a way to improve our running, those running specific workouts are usually the ones that produce the best results.

Chris

Even while training very hard I still usually lifted weights of some sort. 

Usually only 2 sets of 10 or 12 with each excersise.  Not necessarily maxing out at the end of the 2 sets either.  Just working hard. 

Bench press
    Arm curls
    Tricep extensions
    Shoulder press 
    I usually threw some abs in the routine also.

15 minutes max to do everything.  Very simple indeed. 

cesar
    Participant

out of curiosity , ryan and chris what is your weight at the beginning and at the end of the season(race shape)???

Ryan
    Keymaster

Right now, I'm right around 145, which isn't all that atypical in the off-season. Most, if not all, of my best races have come when I'm carrying about 140 pounds if not a little under. Height is about 5'10.5″.

Chris

I run in the 155 range.  Maybe as high as 162-3 in the off season at worst.  We'll see what happens in my possibly “permanent off season.” 

I do know I performed and felt best at my leanest.  Not lightest, leanest. 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.