Athens bombs dent confidence in Olympic security plans

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Athens bombs dent confidence in Olympic security plans

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 14 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

It was the news Giorgos Voulgarakis did not want to hear. Eight hours before the Greek public order minister was due to begin briefing FBI and CIA officials in Washington on security arrangements for the Olympics, three bombs exploded outside a police station in an Athens suburb.

No one was injured in the blasts, and the damage to cars and buildings in the suburb of Kallithea was minor compared with the blow they dealt to confidence in Athens’ ability to provide adequate security at the XXIVth Olympiad.

Coming exactly 100 days before the start of the games, the damage was as much symbolic as actual. Mr Voulgarakis was quick to play down the bombs’ significance to his US hosts, blaming the attack on local “extremists inside Greece with no particular strength or perspective”.

Article

Rich

It doesn’t instill confidence in me. If I was a privileged U.S. or G.B. athlete, I woulnd’t be trusting that Greek security is sufficient.

Ed 1

I would not trust anything in Athens – just like the Israeli team had members murdered by radical muslims so will us American’s if something better is not arranged in the area of security. Israel aught to be careful as well. People willing to die and kill their own to harm those they wish to harm can never be trusted.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.