BabyJoggers

Welcome! Forums Running Forum BabyJoggers

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 14 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Hello, this is my 1st post. I’m a life long runner, ran XC in H.S. and numerous races since, including 13 marathons [two Bostons]. I’m in the process of training to requalify for Boston in 2007 as a 50th birthday present. I’ve been recovering from a serious injury in ’96 and it’s been slow but steady progress.

My question, what is the membership’s opinion of baby joggers in races. When allowed I enjoy pushing one or two of my three boys in races. We mostly do short “fun runs” but have completed three [3] Charleston Distance runs, which is a 15 miler. I’ve ran into strong opposition on one running forum and was just curious of the opinion of “HillRunner” members. Thanks, and look forward to participating.

MikE

Ryan
    Keymaster

IF they are allowed in a race (most races I know of state that they are not allowed) then who is any runner to say you shouldn’t, as long as you practice the extreme responsibility that goes along with using one in a crowded setting? The key here is to remember the safety and rights of all other runners, as well as your own safety and the safety of your kids. Line up in back, definitely behind anyone who could be faster than you so they don’t have to try passing a big obstacle. Try to avoid crowds whenever possible so people don’t have to worry about how to pass in a tight space. Of course, be careful if/when passing yourself. Stay to the side of the course, preferrably on the outside of corners, so you are not in the direct line of traffic. If a course has an out and back section or any kind of section where the leaders might go by you, make sure you can give them plenty of room to pass. I’m sure I’m missing some other things to consider but this should give you an idea of the list of responsibilities you have to consider.

Of course, if they are not allowed, they are not allowed for a reason. Usually because the risk of having them on the course is too high. Keep that in mind. You are not just potentially placing yourself at risk. You are not even just potentially placing other runners at risk. You are potentially placing your child/children at risk.

MothAudio

I appreciate the intelligent response. Points well spoken and observed. MikE

Jeff

I have a couple little kids and I wouldn’t even think about doing it.

That said, I agree with Ryan. I know a lot of races specifically state that no one may push a baby jogger. But if the race allows it, knock yourself out as long as you display the proper courtesy to the other runners, as Ryan has stated.

Jeff

Anonymous

I have 3 kids myself and have never pushed “the runner” in a race. Yes we call it the runner. Simple advice here, follow the rules. 😆

Zeke

You are not just potentially placing yourself at risk. You are not even just potentially placing other runners at risk. You are potentially placing your child/children at risk.

I agree with Ryan’s reply. I believe Gma’s doesn’t allow them due to the risk you are placing on your child. I wouldn’t mind if you were out there, just start at the back of the pack, then work your way up. I’ve often thought of pushing my daughters during a fun run, but haven’t done it yet. I believe Miles & Miles has done it before. Just remember, you can’t hop on the stroller on the downhills. 😀

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.