Bad or good idea for next long run

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Bad or good idea for next long run

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  randys 13 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

randys

My running club is acting as race organizers for a small 5k road race. The event will raise money to help the local high school x-country team pay for road trips. The race is this Saturday.

As it turns out I also have a 22 mile long run scheduled for that morning. My home is about 9 miles from the race starting line so I was thinking I might run to the race, register, run (not race, maybe marathon pace at most) the 5k, then finish the long run by heading home.

Normally I would loop past the house on long runs and grab a water bottle I leave at the end of my driveway. That makes my long run 2 or 3 loops over the same roads which has become pretty boring. If I run the race I can take advantage of the aid station at the finish line and basically do one long out-and-back for my long run.

But if I run the race there will be some down-time while registering and getting set for the start. For all I know it might be 15-30 minutes, maybe even more, of idle time. Will this mess up my long run?

btw: No warnings to ‘not race’ the 5k are needed. At the end of the race I will have about 9-10 mile run to get back home. I don’t want to be dragging my butt all that way because I foolishly got caught up in the spirit of the race.

ps: Just editing this to add: Based on the expected weather in the morning (cold, snowy and windy) I could use any breaks I can get. Seems every long run for the past month has had horrible weather (last weekend I had to deal with winds over 30mph, some gusts of 45!, it Sucked!).

Randy

cameron

sounds like a good idea to me. if nothing else, it breaks up the monotony!

i dunno if 15-20 minutes of idle time would count against you any. personally, after you’d finish the 5K…i’d run home, shower then head back if there’s awards or post-race socializing.

randys

I would love to head back to the race after my run but alas my family has dibs on my afternoon.

I start by taking my 5 year old to her dentist appointment and it goes downhill from there. The next stop is chucky-cheese for a birthday party.

My wife has to work this Saturday afternoon so I am flying solo with the kids.

I actually swapped Saturdays 9 mile mp run with Sundays long run because my family obligations begin even earlier on Sunday.

(it won’t be as cold on Sunday but it will be raining; another ‘great’ day for running)

I guess the reason I posted this question is because I am a bit obsessive about long runs. I hate stopping, or even pausing, when doing a long run. When I approach the rail road crossing on my route and if I hear a train I go down an alternate street to avoid coming to a stop. Thats why I leave water at the end of the driveway instead of going inside to grab it during the run.

Somehow I can’t help thinking that stopping or pausing will condition me to need that during the race. Since I have had so much trouble maintaining my marathon pace over the last 10k in races I am getting more obsessive about this with each training cycle.

I did a 20 mile long run last month with no stops, and NO water because I had forgotten to leave any in the driveway. I learned from that run, that under cool conditions and at lsd pace, its no big deal to run 20 miles without water. It had no impact on my run and yet I read about people who can’t go 5k without a napsack of food and a camelback full of water.

On the other hand I did begin to feel very thirsty around mile 18 so I have no plans to repeat that kind of run again.

Randy

danm

I agree with Cameron. Run to the race, run the race (have some fun) and run home.

You will not be conditioned to stop. If I could count all the times I have had to stop during a run you would probably wonder if I have ever finished a run!

If you feel good, go for a PR in the 5k!

Dan

randys

Part of me wants to race the 5k; I never raced a 5k so my time automatically becomes my PB for the distance.

I need to remind myself of the 9-10 mile run to get home after the race and that my goal race is only 5 weeks away.

I think it will be fun just being out there with a bunch of runners from the club. Its a small local race and many of the runners will be from near my home; perhaps I will meet new people to train with.

I think running the 5k between tempo and marathon pace will be my best bet. I often run the last several miles of long runs at that pace so if I take a breather at the finish I should be ok for the run home.

And about having fun. My favorite run of the week is usually my long run. Its just that lately every weekend has just had horrible weather. This Saturdays long run was really supposed to be done last weekend.

I ‘switched’ last weekend long run with the shorter run originally scheduled for this weekend. I was hoping that the weather would be nicer this weekend. The winds last weekend just wore me down mentally and I had no desire to keep going for the full 22.

Randy

danm

Even if you run the 5k all out, the 9 miler home will act as a clearing agent for the Lactic acid you build during the race. You may not even notice the difference on Sunday as to whether you ran a race or a long run. Just be sure to refuel some immediately following the race and especially when you get home. There is only a short window after a run like that where you can stuff yourself with complex carbohydrates to build back the glycogen you most surely will use up.

Gallons of gatorade, stacks-o-flapjacks, etc.

I say race it!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Another option that some of the guys here witnessed me pull off a couple of years ago. If you could get a ride home, you could do your long run before the 5k, then finish it up with the 5k and race it if you feel good enough.

As I referred to, I did this at an 8k that a few of the guys here were also at. I ran 20 before the race and managed to finish that 20 within a few minutes of the start of the race. Then, I told myself I would put on my racing flats and do the race as a tempo/MP run to finish the long run. About 2 steps in, that was out the door and I was racing. I thought that ended up being a great workout and, considering I didn’t taper at all for this and that I had already run 20 miles before the race, I thought I ran pretty well. This concept is similar to some workouts Khannouchi is known for doing, where he does a 20 miler with the final 2 miles as hard as he can go.

got2run13

sounds good too me. go out and have a good time. it might be a chance to try out some new ideas, surging at different points etc…. I myself have a very short workout tomorrow, 5 miles easy, but that is only because I have a volleyball tourney all day as well. good luck with your run!!! 😆

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.