Beginning Coach

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Beginning Coach

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Traxck.com 10 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

coachdar

I have taken ove the Boys Track Program at the local high school. I will be coaching the distance runners. If there is someone out there that could point me in the right direction as far as coaching the distance runners. Etc, training, workouts. your help is appreciated.  thanks

Ryan
    Keymaster

First, congratulations on the new position! This has to be a very exciting thing for you.

In the best interest of your athletes, I'd suggest reading up a bit as it would take writing a book on this forum to give you solid direction. A couple of books you may want to consider, in the Lydiard Books section, you can find a book called Distance Training for Young Athletes. Personally, I think all Lydiard books, while sometimes being tough to read, are good reads. Another useful book might be Daniels' Running Formula, which can be found in the Books section of the Hillrunner.com aStore. When I was in college, I helped my old high school coach come up with a training plan for the cross-country team. I “debriefed” a few of the runners, as well as the coach, after the season and they all liked the training plan. Coach thought it worked well for everyone across the board and the athletes, from a JV runner to an All-State athlete, both liked training within the plan and thought it worked well for them.

One note I would make, don't worry too much about the specific workouts. There is no silver bullet when it comes to workouts. It's the plan, how you fit those workouts together, that will make the difference.

Best wishes for you and your team. I hope you stay around and keep us updated on how your experiences and the experiences of your athletes go.

GTF

GTF

sueruns

just want to say congrats.

consistency.  and if your boys say they ran 40 mpw over the winter, it's probably <30 and they were probably too fast.

timmins

Tips from a Coach to a Coach:

Use hills instead of speedwork early in the season, i notice they seem to get burned out on intervals fast, unless they are gunning for a certain time (less than 10% of our 55 distance runnners are realy chasing a time for reasons beyond pr'ing) Where as running up a hill, no matter what pace, will improve there overall anerobic conditioning, also it cuases a shortening of the stride which in turn helps turn over and is less likely to cause injury (this is going to start an arguement)

If you want them to run easy, send them in groups of similiar abilities and give them times to run, not miles

Girls have perfected the easy runs becuase they gossip. Send them on a tempo there is a good chance it will revert to an easy run

Boys have perfected the tempo/fast finish run becuae they are compettitive. Send them on a easy run and there is a good chance they will pr their previous CC time…..

If you want them to run in the summer, have unofficial practices and do everything you can to get the girls out there.  Girls = Boys in the summer.

Buy lots of Dreyers Popsicles.

Watch how they walk up to you b4 practice and how they walk to their car after practice.  They will not speak up about injuries if they are chasing a PR, but they will limp.

Finally, my best piece of advice. 

Explain why your doing a workout, and never say “Just do it, or becuase i say so”  This requires you to know why their doing there workout.  If you treat them like adults they will act like them.  Explain an easy run is to increase there aerobic fitness and if they run hard it will just hurt them, it will lesson the chance of them running hard.

If you have some hard headed kids that will not slow down or do the workouts correctly ask them this

“Do you want to have a fast practice or a fast race? Becuase you can't have both.”

Traxck.com

Moday- 5 miles
    Tuesday- 10×400's plenty of rest
    Wednesday- 4 miles
    Thursday- 20×200 with equal rest
    Friday- 5 miles

This is what I did last week. Also don't forget the importance of core work.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.