Bekele Aims for Gebrselassie’s Record

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Bekele Aims for Gebrselassie’s Record

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Ryan 10 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

Kenenisa Bekele, Ethiopia's pride and world and Olympic 10,000m champion, had caused a stir in Mombasa when in a jiffy he dropped out of the 12km race at the World Cross Country Championships in March. The shocking exit set tongues wagging about the form and perhaps the possibility of his remaining on the scene to delight athletics bluffs with his usual spellbound performance.Will we ever see the best again of him was a question on the lips of many including Kenenisa who would rather forget the regrettable experience and concentrate on subsequent champions than recall the incident at the Kenya's coastal city. “When I watch the tapes of the race, I am caught in two minds,” he said speaking nearly two months after his impressive winning streak over the mud came to an end in the most unexpected of circumstances.

“A part of me thinks that maybe I could have run differently that day. But I did not commit a crime by dropping out. I tried all I can, but it simply was not possible for me to continue. I know it is a one-time thing. I am not a loser, but as a sportsman, I have accepted that I cannot always win either.”

Although Bekele has the humility of accepting what transpired at the Nyali Golf course on March 24, his road back 'to the Kenenisa of old' has not been easy.

allAfrica.com article

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.