Bekele to run 10k at Zatopek Memorial, no Olympic double

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Bekele to run 10k at Zatopek Memorial, no Olympic double

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Ryan 14 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

Prague, Czech Republic – It was a quick but valuable visit. The world’s best athlete at the moment according to IAAF Rankings spent some hours in the Czech Republic to announce that he will compete at IAAF Super Grand Prix Meeting Golden Spike in Ostrava on 8 June 2004.

The triple double World Cross Country champion Kenenisa Bekele from Ethiopia will run 10,000 m which this year will be the distance contested as the Emil Zatopek Memorial.

“It is an Olympic year and so the main goal is to be in the best possible shape in Athens and win a gold medal, confirmed Bekele. “I‘m not thinking about records (in Ostrava) this year. But you never know, I heard track is fast and if the weather will be good, we can think about fast times.”

He is still undecided about the distance for Athens: “It will be my first Olympics, I do not have any experience. Additionally we can expect a very hot weather so having all this in mind I will run only one event there. There is no room for a double. And which event it will be? I will know after the early season races. But one thing is sure – I will not decide based on the names which will be running.”

Complete IAAF article

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.