Better late then never: Race Report

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Better late then never: Race Report

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  JCWrs 14 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

JCWrs

March 13th, 2004

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

9:00 AM

Beacon on the Bay 25K

First race since Thanksgiving and I arrive not sure of my form, and am promptly greeted by 45 degree temps, light rain, and the kicker…20-30 MPH winds!!! Right then I knew that time was out the window and it was going to be a tough run. It was a run most of the way around a Lake and then turn around and come back so the wind shifted several times as the road around the lake turned. I don’t like the wind or the cold, but here I was so I may as well get it rolling. My goals for the day were simply to run smart and stay mentally tough the whole way.

The gun went off right at 9:00 and we were off. Early on I had to struggle to hold myself back as we ran with the wind and the usual fast guys went by. I must have missed the 5K marker as we were turning into the wind for the first time about then and the going got tough real quick. I plowed through 10K in 47:00. Right about now I’m going on 2 miles dead into the wind and feel like dog meat. I did a pretty good job of staying mentally tough in this section in convincing myself to just keep rolling along and get through that section. I kept running through the turn around in the high 58’s and finally got the wind at my back. This never makes up for running into the wind, but I did take heart at the long line of runners that I ran by as I headed back the way we came (is it terrible that I love watching how many people are behind me???). The next few miles weren’t too bad as I went through 15K in 1:08:57 for a 21:57 split which was to be my best 5K all day long. About 4 miles from the finish we got the wind in our faces once again and the going got real slow. Hit 20K in 1:34:13 for a 25:16 split. Now I’m just trying to survive, but I’m doing a pretty good job of staying positive with myself and staying as strong as I can against this nasty wind. We roll back into the park we started in and make a last lap around the park. I’ve been all alone for quite a while and as I hit the final straight theres no one between me and the line so I floor it for kicks. I’m sure I didn’t generate much speed, but I gave it all I could muster and hit the line in 1:58:05. Not a great time, but for the day and the conditions it was a solid effort. I’m pretty dead from the effort still, but I think it’ll pass in a few days and I’ll be back training again.

Woody

JC,

Good work staying focused in shitty conditions. In races like that you gotta go by effort and it sounds like you put it on line . I hate wind— unless of course it’s a point to point at your back 😉

Woody

Zeke

Yeah, nice job. Running half of a 5 miler in that wind sucks, wouldn’t want to try a 25k in it.

Thanks for sharing your report.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.