Check out my long run schedule and advise please

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Check out my long run schedule and advise please

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Jeff 14 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Jeff

What do you think of this. These are my weekly long runs, that Daniels has me doing, leading up to the race. I’m peaking at 55 mpw which will happen next week and again 3 weeks later and then again three weeks after that.

Starting with this Sunday they are in this order:

TLT run, maybe get no more than 14 miles out of this

12 at pace

TLT again, probably get no more than 14

12 at pace

TLT probably 14

12 at pace

TL which is 2 x 15 min tempo with 5-7 mile easy run

I know he’s the expert and I’m the novice but, going from 14 to 18 seems excessive for me. And maybe it’s because I’m not an experienced marathoner. I would be more comfortable (if nothing else mentally) if there were a couple 20’s.

I’d like to change to fit a couple 20’s in there somehow. I’d like to keep the TLT runs. If I keep the TLT’s I’m not sure how I’d fit in the 2- 20’s. Should I ditch 1 of the TLT’s? I realize I could run a longer warm up and longer cool downs during the TLT runs to make them all together longer but from what I understand, these TLT’s aren’t all that easy so I don’t know if I’ll be up to running 5 extra miles on top of the TLT.

I’ve been thinking about this for the last couple weeks now. It just doesn’t seem like there will be enough longer runs. I may be off my rocker too.

Maybe this program is too advanced for a first time marathoner only running 1.5 to 2 years? So far I seem to be handling it fine, I’m not your average Runner’s World beginner. Few aches but nothing serious.

Educate me, please.

Jeff

ferris

with those 12 milers at Pace, you have to remember that they will end up being about 15-17 including a warmup and a cooldown. I figured you probably weren’t goofy enough to just hop out the door and hit 12 miles at pace, but I just wanted to make sure.

so, if the pace runs end up getting you 15-17, you really aren’t jumping from 14 to 18

I agree with you, I would try to hit a few 20’s….but I also think anything over 22-24 is a but much.

Is that directly from text? Because it does look a bit weird that you have the TLT followed by the MP runs…..maybe its just been a while since I checked out JD’s marathon plan.

what is your goal time?

I have heard a few “experts” say that you should do a run or two that has you out there for the time you expect to run….ex—with a goal time of 3 hrs, they want you to hit one or two 3 hour runs.

im not sure how I feel about that. Its OK for some, but I wouldnt have a 4 hr marathoner do it.

Jeff
    ferris wrote:
    with those 12 milers at Pace, you have to remember that they will end up being about 15-17 including a warmup and a cooldown. I figured you probably weren’t goofy enough to just hop out the door and hit 12 miles at pace, but I just wanted to make sure.

so, if the pace runs end up getting you 15-17, you really aren’t jumping from 14 to 18

I agree with you, I would try to hit a few 20’s….but I also think anything over 22-24 is a but much.

Is that directly from text? Because it does look a bit weird that you have the TLT followed by the MP runs…..maybe its just been a while since I checked out JD’s marathon plan.

what is your goal time?

I have heard a few “experts” say that you should do a run or two that has you out there for the time you expect to run….ex—with a goal time of 3 hrs, they want you to hit one or two 3 hour runs.

im not sure how I feel about that. Its OK for some, but I wouldnt have a 4 hr marathoner do it.

Yes, Ferris, that is straight from text. My goal time I really haven’t decided yet. I have a half on the 16th of May and I think that will geve me some kind of idea. I would like to see 3:30. Daniels is saying my MP is 7:24. a 3:30 would be an 8 minute mile.

I guess if I ran a 2 mile wu and a 2 mile cd the pace runs would come to 16 miles–good point.

The TLT may end up being longer than 14 too. I guess I really won’t know until I get there.

Thanks,

Jeff

Ryan
    Keymaster

To add on to what ferris said, first, the TLT runs do seem quite demanding. I don’t think I’d mess with them. Second, I would like to see at least a couple 20 milers but Peter ran a solid marathon this past fall and his longest long run (please correct me if I’m wrong Peter) was around 17-18. Remember, the long run isn’t the holy grail of marathon training that certain sources like RW make it out to be. It’s one of many needed components and one that I think a lot of people put too much emphasis on. Third, as was pointed out, the MP runs will give you some solid mileage and also probably be as taxing to the body as an easy paced 20 miler, if not more.

With these notes in mind, I don’t think any changes are needed. However, if you wanted to make changes, I’d probably bump the second 18 miler up to 20 and do a long, very easy cooldown on one or two of those MP runs. At 55 mpw, I don’t think you will stand to gain any benefit in going beyond 18-20 miles. They just become too much of your week and will start eating into the rest of the components of your training. Save the longer runs for if/when you decide to do more weekly mileage.

Run

The TLT runs I have done all have come out to be a bit further than I thought. When you add up the warm up and cool down, plus the easy recovery between tempo bouts, it can easily be an xtra 4-5 miles. I changed some of the distance in JD plan to suit my need for the mental edge a 22 will hopefully give me. My schedule was something like 14,16,16,19, and 22 this weekend, with TLTs and MP runs up to 15 in between… This is my first thon as well, so we’ll see how it goes.

Double

I’d work on getting to 20 as soon as possible. Pace is not an issue. Learn to get out on your feet for an extended time. Half the battle is getting your brain trained. I see it this way; come marathon time, if you have successfully pounded out a fair amount of 20 milers, all the rest will fall into place. Marathons are about covering ground, toughening up your feet, liver, and brain. Look at Pski, he’s a poster child practically when it comes to speed. However, he has mastered the long run. See your future, be your future.

pski

Jeff, it’s the poster child of speed (hey DD I loved that one 😆 ) I can tell you this, run long and slow, it won’t matter but do a couple in the 3:30 range or cover 22 miles in your overall marathon goal time ala Pfitz. Otherwise get out to the half in 8’s, barring a great half time. You sound like me and I did my first marathon with no long runs. well the longest was ten. Went out in 8’s for half and felt so damn good ran the rest in 7:20’s for a 3:20. That was alot of fun. The great thing about this run was I had no clue and probably still don’t!! The secret to running longer is running slower. I’m plugging away for Ice Age. In the last 4 weeks I have long trail runs of 20, 20, 21, 21, 25 and Sat will be a 26. From there I’ll do back to backs of 20 and 25-26 for two weeks then the 35 mile build up followed by 15 the next day. Some of this painful trainig approaches 10 min mile pace, but hill after hill you just start to feel stronger. Ultra training has taught me this, anything is possible and with slower, you can go as long as there is time in the day. Good luck again and hope this is inspirational if nothing else. PSKI

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.