cold weather and breathing

Welcome! Forums Running Forum cold weather and breathing

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  elkid 13 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

elkid

I’ve never done true distance running over the winter, taking the previous winters as off seasons. But with my marathon schedule, I’ll be doing a lot of training, including long runs, in the cold. A new experience. I noticed last night after 7 miles my throat hurt from the cold air (12 degrees, 6mph winds) and the woodburning stoves were killing me. The remaining 1.4 were painful from a respiratory perspective. I fear what my long run tonight will bring.

Outside of a balaclava, what else can I do? I don’t want to resort to a facecover until it gets wicked cold. My throat REALLY hurt. I fear I might be forced indoors.

Linz

I use a mask when the temp drops below 20 and it’s windy. This has worked well for me over distances as great as 20 miles. I have not really experienced a burning throat when sticking to this rule of thumb. I also have not noticed much of a problem breathing through the mask either. Good luck!

Mark

PS. A funny article about the myth of ‘frozen lungs’.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,5033,s6-197-0-0-7442,00.html

Anonymous

Hey,

I use a wool tube which can be pulled up to cheek level if necessary. It tends to keep the moisture from your exhaled air and warm the incoming air a bit. If colder conditions hit, I switch to a ski mask made of the same insulated stuff as a wetsuit, which keeps your face really warm!

Your throat should adapt to the outdoors. Your lungs end up producing more mucous to protect the tissues. I would warn against going out if you already have a sore throat or at least pack some lozenges to keep things lubricated.

Enjoy the winter!

Scott

MarkRunner

Would it be helpful to either carry water or run loops where you can pick up water mid-run? My throat tends to get dry in both the summer and the winter and I usually carry water for any run over 45 minutes. Polar insulated bottles work keeping water cool in the summer and not frozen in the winter as do hydration systems with insulation over the tube.

Mark

elkid
    MarkRunner wrote:
    Would it be helpful to either carry water or run loops where you can pick up water mid-run? My throat tends to get dry in both the summer and the winter and I usually carry water for any run over 45 minutes. Polar insulated bottles work keeping water cool in the summer and not frozen in the winter as do hydration systems with insulation over the tube.

Mark

All my hydration system bottles freeze. Discovered this on my last 4 hour long run. 4 hours with nothing; tough. I can’t use the Polar bottles, as I lack the hand strength to get anything out of them. Seems only 6, 7 miles in my throat hurts and it goes downhill.

Looks like laps on the gym’s b’ball track or the dreadmill. 🙁

Run

It will probably take some getting used to, but your throat will probably adjust

Elkid,

Give your body some time to adjust. I think as you get out more in the dry air your body will get used to it. If it is that cold wear a bandana or a mask to help warm the air a bit and keep the moisture by your mouth so you can recycle it.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Elkid, I would point out that running indoors may not help you a lot. It sounds like what you are developing is what is termed as “skier’s hack” in the article Linz linked to. I think it’s worth pointing out that I tend to develop those symptoms more severely when running indoors than when running outdoors in the winter. When I run indoors in the winter, I finish sometimes hacking for 10-15 minutes non-stop after the run and hacking to some extent for hours. I have never had that much trouble when running outdoors, even when reaching that “temperature convergence point” of -40.

My solution to a sore throat has always been a facemask. It may not seem great but I would rather wear one of those than run indoors, where it’s more monotonous and where I end up with even more severe throat issues.

r-at-work

not that the temps get THAT cold around here(NoVA), we went down into the 20s earlier this week… but originally I’m from Northern Illinois…

anyway… the scratchy throat issue might be handled with Zinc lozenges, my 85 year old mother swears by them (and she’s almost never wrong about this kind of stuff)… I get them at a health food store, seen them at the regular store occasionally, I get the cherry flavored but they still taste rather metallic… hope it helps…

as for hydration, I imagine gatorade would take longer to freeze (freezing point depression)… or just plan a route that passes a store?… glad it doesn’t get THAT cold here…

-Rita

Double

50 degrees – shirtless

35 degrees – cover legs

25 degrees – vest and hat

20 degrees – go to mittens

0 degrees – add wind pants and top

-15 degrees – two hats and two sox

-30 degrees – put on everything and do short loops as long as possible

When you run 20-35 milers in the winter you do loops. You gas up and go.

If you have a belt w/ bottle you just pull your clothes over it. It has to be pretty cold to freeze then because it is in the same environment your body is in.

Run a loop, get a drink, go to the bathroom, whatever. I stop the watch, do whatever it takes and then start the watch again. I’m not a believer that perpetual motion is always necessary. Whatever, 20+ miles is always that in the log book.

Hey, I own the logbook. I am the creator. I put in it whatever I want based on my own set of rules. That’s why the Runners World Forum was such agony. Seems everyone wanted to know every single thing everyone else thought about when it came to such minute things of running. How much will lifting equate to running? None bone munch.

Frozen lungs = Hogwash

Steelers = Champions

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.