Congratulations Team Hillrunner.com, 2006 Al’s Run champs!

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Congratulations Team Hillrunner.com, 2006 Al’s Run champs!

This topic contains 31 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Double 12 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

Congratulations to Team Hillrunner.com, the 2006 Al's Run corporate division team champions! With a time of 2:23:44, 40 seconds better than last year, Team Hillrunner.com won by just over 5 minutes! Not all results are up, just division leaders, so I will post more about team and individual results later.

Corporate Team Division
    1st Place: Team Hillrunner.com 2:23:44
    2nd Place: Extractors 2:28:46
    3rd Place: Bell Well Sales Co 2:44:05

Aaron

Nice job everyone.  Although my race today was one to forget, I had a lot of fun running with the team and meeting everyone.  Count me in for next year.

Aaron

rehammes

I'm glad the Wisconsin Runner Rt team wasn't in our division.  You might say they were stacked.  Congrats to everyone!

sueruns

congrats! 

do they count the top 5 times from each team?  sorry, I don't know Al's run too well.  In fact, I didn't know it was competitive, I thought it was a walk-a-thon.  my bad!!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Sue, they do indeed add up the top 5 times from each team and that is the team time, which is used for scoring.

Al's Run is still definitely a competitive race in the front. It is turning into a walk-a-thon behind the runners but, as long as they take care of the competitive runners well enough that we can have our race up front, I personally am not all that concerned what it turns into behind us.

sueruns

Sue, they do indeed add up the top 5 times from each team and that is the team time, which is used for scoring.

Al's Run is still definitely a competitive race in the front. It is turning into a walk-a-thon behind the runners but, as long as they take care of the competitive runners well enough that we can have our race up front, I personally am not all that concerned what it turns into behind us.

thanks for clearing that up, I thought when I moved back to WI that there was a controversy about the direction of the race.  I'm glad they are still taking care of the competition.  I just found out that Fox Cities Marathon pulled all prize money this year….but everyone gets a duffle bag!!!

http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060917/APC02/609170534/1892/APCsports

I hope it remains competitive with Lakefront being close in time at a reasonable fee and fast course
    (well…depending on weather)

Ryan
    Keymaster

Didn't hear that about Fox Cities. That's a sad development. Fortunately, Lakefront began giving prize money. Unfortunately for me, they began giving prize money to the top 3 the year after I finished third. 😛

Al's Run take care of the competitors as well as I understand they ever did. They never gave prize money as far as I know but they do offer an “elite” corral to ensure that not just anybody gets in the way at the start and they offer an accurate course and accurate timing and scoring. Man, thinking over this, it's amazing how little the competitors ask for. A clear path, an accurate course and an accurate timing and scoring system. What else does the competitive crowd demand?

Ryan
    Keymaster

OK, the extended story. First, I'd like to thank everyone who ran for Team Hillrunner.com. From Matt Tupta to pski, I appreciate everyone's willingness to join the team. People keep thanking me for “letting” them join the team as if I'm doing them a favor but, as far as I'm concerned, everyone who joins the team is doing me a favor by representing Hillrunner.com.

Team Hillrunner.com had the strength and depth going into this race that I was expecting a real strong performance. I actually thought we could not just beat last year's time but take a good run at going for a team cumulative time of under 2:20, which would mean I was expecting the top 5 to average under 28 minutes.

Well, it was a good thing we had the depth and strength because it allowed us to overcome a few people having off days. We didn't go under 2:20 but we did improve on last year's time even though we were battling through adversity this year. Our final time, as I already pointed out, was 2:23:44, a 40 second improvement over the 2:24:24 we put up to win the corporate division last year and good for another corporate division victory this year, the fourth consecutive Al's Run corporate division victory for Team Hillrunner.com.

Once again, we won on the strength of a combination of Team Hillrunner.com veterans and Team Hillrunner.com rookies. Without Matt, Rob and Aaron, we would have been hurting. This is yet another reminder of how important recruiting is. Not one of our four Al's Run championships would have been accomplished without the help of at least one Team Hillrunner.com rookie.

Team Hillrunner.com results:

Team time (sum of times of the top 5 runners): 2:23:44
    Individuals:
    Matt Tupta: 27:16
    Rob Hammes: 27:48
    Ryan Hill: 28:55
    Aaron Walter: 29:45
    Jeff Feldman: 30:00
    Mark Fleming: 30:59
    Gerald Cameron: 31:29
    Dave Dehart: 31:37
    Paul Paikowski: 40:17

Not only does Team Hillrunner.com field good runners for Al's Run, we also consistently field good people. I had the opportunity to talk with everyone on the team except pski (a busy man!) before and after the race and they are all great guys. I'm honored to have the opportunity to have not just good runners but good people represent Hillrunner.com. The greatest advertising I could get for this site would be to have guys like these wearing their Al's Run shirts with the Hillrunner.com logo on their backs.

One last thing. I would like to thank Lisa for her willingness to serve as the race day team manager. Thanks to her help, I was able to focus on my race (not sure if that was a good thing or not yesterday but at least it helped me avert a total disaster) and the race day team organization went very smoothly.

I may or may not have a chance to post a report on my personal race. If I don't, let's just say it wasn't pretty. I'd classify it as a “what could go wrong did go wrong” type of day.

Individual results
    Team results
    A little humor from the local paper: I must have run so poorly that I finished both 43rd and 44th…

sueruns

I'll be the first to say it…….Jenny Crain looks hot in that pic.

don't get me wrong…I like boys!!

Chris

I think it's darn impressive that WI Runner had to bring in ringers to beat Hillrunner.  I know Meissen hasn't run there before and didn't Bobby Lockhardt just graduate….or maybe still is a Badger? 

Awesome team effort. 

r-at-work

congrats…again… how many years do you have to win it before you get to retire the trophy?
    -Rita

cameron

i had alot of fun saturday morning.  it was great hanging out and talking with everyone.

i wish every race had a bunch of bagpipers playing at the 1 mile mark…it really fired me up.  ;D

Ryan
    Keymaster

Chris, I can't recall if Henry Dennis has done Al's Run before, either. The one surprise to me was that Matt Thull didn't return. I swore I saw him warming up before the race, must not have gotten good enough of a look.

I don't think they needed to bring out the ringers to beat us for the fastest team overall (but in a different division). I wonder if it was in some way “making up” for not fielding a team last year. Whatever the case, averaging just over 25 flat for your top 5 runners is impressive.

Rita, this actually isn't a traveling trophy. We have a nice collection of trophies/plaques from Al's Run started. I actually consider this collection one of my prized posessions, as I've always appreciated team accomplishments. One of these years, I'm going to offer to have a BBQ (or just order pizza) at my place after the race and bring the hardware out so the team can see the rewards of continued success.

Zeke

I believe this came up last year, but shouldn't you guys be running in the community category, not the corporate category?  It's not like you guys all work for the same company or something. 

Also, I'm surprised that a race that size in a major metro area only has 2 women than can break 30 minutes.  Heck, Buckshot in Eau Claire had a more competitive women's field.

Ryan
    Keymaster

According to the team entry guidelines, a corporate team is one that is representing any for profit business. Corporate teams are actually encouraged to recruit employees and their families and friends, clients, and suppliers. A community team is any group of individuals, such as a social club or neighborhood, who want to get together to run as a team.

After last year's accusations, I actually asked the team coordinator where Team Hillrunner.com belongs. She assured me that the corporate division is the proper place for the team because Hillrunner.com is a for profit business and that it would be a poor fit for the community division based on the purpose for the separate divisions.

The competitiveness on both the men's and women's sides seems to vary quite a bit from year to year. This year, the men's race was quite a bit deeper than last year. For all I know, next year could be the year when all the top women come out.

sueruns

crazylegs generally has 3-4 women under 30:00, so I think 2-3 women at Al's sounds about right.  I think you have to go more to sub 32:00 for women's depth.  Under 30:00 the women usually have some pretty good creditials or are running for a team.

Sorry to jump in but wanted to say congrats to everyone on a GREAT JOB. Way to go. Ski

Zeke

A community team is any group of individuals, such as a social club or neighborhood, who want to get together to run as a team.

She assured me that the corporate division is the proper place for the team because Hillrunner.com is a for profit business and that it would be a poor fit for the community division based on the purpose for the separate divisions.

I'd still argue that while hillrunner.com might be set up for profit, the forum is more like a social club.  But I really couldn't care less.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Well, all I can say for sure is that the team coordinator ensured me that the corporate division is our best fit and that there are teams that are much more loosely connected to the business sponsoring them than Team Hillrunner.com is to this site (in fact, I didn't even know what GTI stood for until after I ran under their banner in 2002, all I knew was pski said he needed another runner for “the team” – I didn't even know what team – and asked me if I could join them).

My gut feeling is that their position is any company that is willing to pay to put their name on a team in the corporate division is welcome to do so. They would probably question me putting the Hillrunner.com name on a community team that doesn't have to pay a team fee because it would look like I was trying to get free advertising. If I did that, I wouldn't be surprised to see them tell me that the team belongs in the corporate division and not even allow me to register the team in the community division.

Then again, maybe I should try to get into the community division next year. Not having to pay the team fee to enter the corporate division could help out the bottom line. 😉

Anne

Way to go guys! I was cheering you on from up here hoping the wind would be at your backs.

Looks like a very competitive field, I'll have to get down there for it next year and see what I can do against the other F 45-49 runners.

Congratulations on bringing the trophy back once again.  🙂

Peter

1st of all, let me say congrats to Team Hillrunner.com and all who ran on Saturday! I'm sorry I wasn't able to participate, but you guys did a great job in defending the title!! Way to go…

2nd, comparing 2006 with the results from 2005, the times were eerily similar. Looking at depth of field, not necessarily just the very top finishers, there were these results:

2005-compared- 2006  
    28:23  (25th)  28:00
    29:14  (50th)  29:12
    30:22  (75th)  30:23
    31:18 (100th) 31:27

62 (sub 30:00)  64
    7 (FM top 100)  6

So it was a bit faster at the front, but overall, darn close. My 29:08 for 47th last year would have gotten me 49th this year!

Yes Ryan, we need to have a get together to admire all of the Team 'Hardware'. Or at the very least, you could post a picture here sometime 😉

Peter

Ryan
    Keymaster

Peter, I would note the difference at 25. I believe the difference at 10 was around 30 seconds. I'm not quite sure when you get down to the top 5. I would also note that I recall 2005 having slightly better conditions. At the very least, I don't recall a south wind that would hit you in the most difficult and most exposed mile on the course.

That said, once you get out to 50 and 100, the results always seem to be very similar. It seems like things balance themselves out by that point. 50th always seems to be in the low 29s, there always seem to be about 60-some people under 30, and so on.

I think I posted a picture of the hardware once, back when I had a Jingle Bell trophy (which I never got this year for some reason). Maybe I'll have to take a few new pictures and post them. However, those who sweated it out to earn the hardware should also have the opportunity to hold it so I'll have to make that offer one of these days.

Chris

Heck, Buckshot in Eau Claire had a more competitive women's field.

Doesn't the entire women's UWEC team run though?  I know the men do. 

Otherwise I do tend to agree that the field isn't that deep Zeke.  The big races in the Twin Cities seem to be much better.  There is no WI runner at those either.  Maybe I'm just full of local pride or something?

Zeke

Doesn't the entire women's UWEC team run though?  I know the men do. 

Otherwise I do tend to agree that the field isn't that deep Zeke.  The big races in the Twin Cities seem to be much better.  There is no WI runner at those either.  Maybe I'm just full of local pride or something?

The UWEC women may run, but there aren't any that can run sub-6 pace for 5 miles.  Sub-6 pace for a 5k would be outstanding for them.  They did have a former (all-American?) runner that was 2nd in 29:37.

Ryan
    Keymaster

How deep do the women go at Buckshot after the top two? I haven't looked through the results but if second at Buckshot was 29:37, second at Al's Run was 44 seconds ahead of that. Of course, I realize that the women's competition at Al's Run seems to drop off very quickly so I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it's a different story by the time you get out even to 5-10.

Zeke

How deep do the women go at Buckshot after the top two?

6 under 33 minutes

1st 28:41
    2nd 29:33
    3rd 30:02
    4th 31:11
    5th 32:42
    6th 32:43

And Karen wasn't even there to bust out another sub-30.

Al's Run put 12 women under 32:43.  Keep in mind Milwaukee is a “little” bigger than EC.

By comparison the Twin Cities has a large 8K in March.  This year “we” put 33 gals under 32:33 (a comparable time to a 32:43 5 mile).

blackdog

>:(
    I was on the hill watching and gritting my teeth!
    Thanks for the compliment Zeke.

Yes the UWEC women run. But some of us local old ladies do pretty well againest them. My friend was 4th, she is 40 with 5 daughters, also a former UWEC runner. Also missing was a good local runner Jen Thesien.
    it was a very good field for a small town race.

I was really fired up to see Rachel Earney-Rich, she just hammered!  Look out for her and baby sister Ashley at Chicago.

Buckshot was pretty fast this year, I think it helps when Jason Finch gets fired up and hammers out the first two miles and takes everyone with him!

Karen

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yes, of course Milwaukee is “a little” bigger than EC and I definitely agree that a race in the Cities would be a much more adequate comparison. It does seem that the women's field at Al's Run drops off more quickly than I personally would like to see. I'd love to see greater depth in the field and think it would be a great thing for the runners like Jen Crain and Jackie Mulrooney to get more competition from within their field instead of having to race the guys (although Crain seemed to respond just fine when I tried to pass her in mile 2 2-3 years ago and Mulrooney didn't seem to mind racing me when I responded to her coming up on me this year).

While the Milwaukee running scene seems to be healthy on the men's side, it is a little thin on the women's side. Fortunately, we have Madison nearby, which is strong on both sides.

Double

Butler, PA. 10k 1979, Maybe 25,000 people.

David Dehart 17 36:41 was 86th place.  594 finishers and 159 broke 40:00.  Doug Grauel who was 14 and a nieghboring rival ran 33:30 to win the 14 and under age group.  52 people ran 35:00 or better.  A 32:49 got you 21st place.  In April of the same year in a dual meet against another small school, my brother who was a sophomore ran 4:53 in the 1600m and was 9th.  The other team put 7 guys under 4:53 and most of us ran 3 events.  Most of these schools graduated 85-150 kids a class.  Our biggest sport rival for participation was the rifle teams….the ones you actually shot rifles in competition.

I ran the Wheeling 20k when I was 17 and finished 109th with a 1:14:43.  Hal Higdon was 47 and placed 61st with a 1:11:36.  Some clown named Rodgers won it and a guy who won Boston was 11th….Jack Fultz who was from Oil City, PA.  40th was in 1:09:37.  I ran this race in 1998 in about 1:29:30 and I was in the top 100.  That Rodgers guy finished ahead of me again.

Rodgers came in and sat beside me in 78' or 79' at the awards banquet and I was bewildered.  19 years later I bump into him after the race and we talk for several minutes.  He told me, “How's your running going?  We've meet here before haven't we?”  Must have been his standard line, but I was on cloud nine.  I've spoke with Bill 3 times in total.  He sat down and streched with me and my buddy at the International Peace Race 25k around 78'.

One year at the 25k a few of us went tearing out so we could see ourselves on TV.  I kept exchanging elbows with some guy who wanted by (I thought he wanted my TV spot) and after a short while I let him through.  It was Randy Thomas who missed the American record by 3 seconds that day.

cameron

LEGEND!

Zeke

Good stuff Double.  BTW, way to keep Thomas from the AR with all your elbowing.

However, comparing 2006 to 1978 is a little different than comparing 2006 Twin Cities (or Eau Claire) to 2006 Milwaukee.

Double

Where was I graphing a comparison? : 😀

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.