Coupla random questions….

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Coupla random questions….

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  ScottP 13 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

I've been looking through some pics of past marathons, and I see a lot of people wearing shirts with their (or possibly someone else's) name on it. What's up with that?

Also, before I started running, I was pretty big on rollerblading. I was wondering if this would be a good form of cross training during my off days? I guess the reason why I'm hesitant is because I'm not sure if it works the same muscle groups as running therefore negating the entire purpose of taking an off day.

Finally, and this is a lil embarrassing but I dont really care…my nipples KILL after some of my longer runs. That's normal right? Any suggestions, bodyglide, bandaids, etc.?

(FYI… I intentionally pissed in my pants at mile 7 of this mornings 12 mile run)

Ryan
    Keymaster

I've been looking through some pics of past marathons, and I see a lot of people wearing shirts with their (or possibly someone else's) name on it. What's up with that?

People usually do this to give spectators something to cheer for. It can be a bit of a charge to hear someone cheering for you, using your name. People figure they will help the spectators help them by letting everyone know what their names are. Some races have picked up on this and will print your name on your race number now.

Also, before I started running, I was pretty big on rollerblading. I was wondering if this would be a good form of cross training during my off days? I guess the reason why I'm hesitant is because I'm not sure if it works the same muscle groups as running therefore negating the entire purpose of taking an off day.

It's something that would help improve/maintain your overall fitness, which would indirectly help your running to some extent. If you really need a day off, it may not be the greatest thing depending on how aggressive you are but, if you really need a day off, any form of cross-training could have that drawback.

Finally, and this is a lil embarrassing but I dont really care…my nipples KILL after some of my longer runs. That's normal right? Any suggestions, bodyglide, bandaids, etc.?

The number one solution for this seems to be Bodyglide or some other form of lubricant. Some people use bandages also. If you're having trouble while wearing cotton shirts, you could try synthetic materials like Coolmax or Nike's Dri-Fit (nearly everyone has a synthetic material with their own name on it, all are about the same). These tend to not rub as much as cotton.

some people use permanent pens to write their name  or something else motivational on their shirt…  I have put my name on with sticky felt which lasts the whole way even in a down pour and has the added advantage of being able to be removed if it gets too annoying…  I've seen guys with everything on their chest (after they take off their shirts) from band-aids to duct tape… body glide works well for other areas that rub, even between toes…

isn't this a fun sport…
    -Rita

Ummmm….I've never peed….while running ha ha ah.  I pretty much live in the country so I just stop and go right in the middle of the road.  Usually takes about 4-5 seconds ;D

Well I run on a heavily populated lakefront path, I don't think pulling over to the side would be much appreciated, so I just did my business without breaking stride….

Reminds me of the 50 miler race in Ultramarathon Man where Dean K. is wondering why there's a damp line up the middle of the trail….

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.