Curious about Olympics

Welcome! Forums Non-Running Forum Curious about Olympics

This topic contains 19 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ed 9 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

ed
    Participant

I was curious as to how many medals each “Country” earned in actual sporting events and not judged competitions.  Does nay one know about that.

GTF

You can get that info off the web.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I don't know of anywhere that compiles the numbers that way for you but, if you visit nbcolympics.com, I believe you could find medal counts by sport and could extrapolate the numbers from that with a little knowledge of which sports are judged and which are not.

GTF

Wikipedia tends to have per-sport medal tables.

ed
    Participant

I'll check it out a bit later – I am starting my plans for our second annual Run so They can Play.  I'll be asking you guys for advice about the race as the time draws nearer.

ed
    Participant

OK this should be pretty close to on the money depending on Wikipedia's accuracy.

Non judged Olympic events (actual sports)

USA – 35 Gold, 33 Silver, 35 Bronze = 103 medals
    China – 29 Gold, 16 Silver, 18 Bronze = 63 medals

Ryan
    Keymaster

Interesting take. As for the accuracy, Wikipedia is typically dead on with factual details like this. Typically, it only has issues with topics where opinion might sneak in or controversial topics where someone may change an article to gain some perceived advantage in a debate.

ed
    Participant

My main point and the thing I like to argue most is that judged events do not belong in the Olympics.  Those events can have their own thing but the Olympics should be about “sport”.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I definitely don't disagree with you. I'm not a fan judged events, subjectivity shouldn't be a part of sports. That's one reason I think running is so great. First across the line, what's more objective than that?

Of course, even the non-judged sports have some subjecticity to them. Anything with officials making calls will have some subjectivity involved but at least the whole premise of the competition isn't based on subjective judging.

GTF

Certainly.  Are boxing, judo, taekwondo, and wrestling judged events or a scored events?

ed
    Participant

The events that you mentioned GTF are close to losing their “sport” edge

In boxing I get a point for punching my opponent in the head.  Not how hard it looks like I hit him.

In gymnastics I get a score based on how nice my vault looked.

GTF

What separates a punch in the head from one in the neck?  Unlike in fencing where one has to hit a target with a clearly defined perimeter so that it registers electronically.  There are several sports that seem to fall between completely objectively scored contests (a ball either goes through a hoop or it does not, etc.) and contests with essentially subjective scoring.  It does not really matter, though, because it is popularity that seems to govern whether or not an event is included in the Olympic program.  Besides, the Olympics are overrated.

ed
    Participant

The olympics are overrated yet they are a billion dollar industry.

Ryan
    Keymaster

The fact that there is a billion dollar industry revolving around the Olympics just goes to show how overrated the Olympics are. I know this has been discussed before but I wonder why a city would want to host the Olympics. Who would want their city turned upside down just for an overbloated event that will be sure to leave the city with an even more overbloated budget deficit for years, if not decades, to come and an infrastructure that will not have much practical usefulness once the event is over?

ed
    Participant

It might be a gamble that the city becomes a tourist destination for a couple of years following the olympics and the hope that that revenue pays for the venues.  Also a really nice basketball venue could host an NCAA final four event – lots of money once again.  But those are gusses.

GTF

Except that the data points to the fact that it is essentially guaranteed to not boost tourism, both before and after the OG come to town: http://www.hillrunner.com/forums/index.php?topic=5514.msg18430#msg18430

ed
    Participant

I am curious if this holds true for locations that are more accessable.  Sydney I could never afford to go to, likewise China.  But a location in Germany, England the or the US would be more affordable.

GTF

Yet Turkey is no more accessible than Greece to the same set of people who conceivably would be able to travel to either, ditto New Zealand and Australia.  That was the relevance in selecting those nearby destinations for comparison. 

ed
    Participant

Excellent point.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Recently, those gambles haven't been paying off. As for the venues, most cities large enough to even think of footing the bill for an Olympics already have venues capable of holding major events like an NCAA Final Four or whatever other major events. Heck, Chicago is even talking about tearing down many of their venues as soon as the Special Olympics is over.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.