Cut back weeks

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Cut back weeks

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ed 1 14 years ago.

• Author

Ed 1

I have a question about cut back weeks. Given my current status – at the begining of my base building. Did 21.25 last week am headed towards 31 this week. Next week is scheduled as a cut back week. What is a typical % of miles that is cut in a cut back week? And does that percentage decrease as the mileage increases? How do all of you treat the cut back weeks? Most importantly, how do you Zeke, want me to proceed with the cutback weeks (percentage wise)?

Anonymous

20 and 30 mile weeks are cut back weeks. Get up to 50-60 and then cut back to 30-40. I’d say 60-70% of total mileage. It’s not necessary this early in the game.

Zeke
    Guest wrote:
    20 and 30 mile weeks are cut back weeks. Get up to 50-60 and then cut back to 30-40. I’d say 60-70% of total mileage. It’s not necessary this early in the game.

If Ed had taken 2 weeks off at then end of the season and was building back up, I’d agree. However, he’s been off for 6 months. His main goal is 11 months away. I don’t think there’s any need to rush as he builds his mileage back up.

I’d say to cut back at least 25%. The chart I gave you drops more like 30-40% every 4th week. Remember, your body needs time to adjust to the increase in mileage. That’s what the cut-back week is for.

Since your last 3 weeks will be 11, 21, 31, I’d say keep it around 20 next week.

Ed 1

OK that’ll work. Since I am bumping up the mileage quicker, I’ll keep the 30-40% range in mind for this base building time. After that I’ll follow your schedule as perfect as possible.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I know I’m going to sound like a broken record but it really depends on the person and their current fitness level. Some people can get away without cutback weeks at all, others need significant cutbacks. Some need a significant cutback when getting into shape but can do with little to none when in shape. Personally, I go on a 4 week cycle with a minor drop in mileage if any on week 2 and, especially as my mileage climbs, a very significant drop (at times dropping by over 50%) on week 4.

I think the key (as so often is the case with many topics related to running) is to find what works for you. If you’re uncertain, err on the side of being slightly too cautious at first and adjust as needed until you find what works best for you. Remember, the cutback week is a time to not quit training but to give your body a chance to rejuvenate before pushing to higher levels of training.

ferris
    Guest wrote:

cut back weeks are RELATIVE to the mileage one has been running. just because he isnt up to that level yet, doest mean he doesnt deserve or need a cutback week.

Ryan
    Keymaster
    ferris wrote:
    Guest wrote:

cut back weeks are RELATIVE to the mileage one has been running. just because he isnt up to that level yet, doest mean he doesnt deserve or need a cutback week.

Ferris, good point. I could just as easily tell Guest that 50-60 mile weeks are cutback weeks. When I’m rolling, 80-90 mile weeks are cutback weeks. Does that mean I don’t think you should be running cutback weeks until you’re above that level? Of course not. I think that means, if you choose to run 120-140 miles per week, 80-90 may be a sufficient cutback week, just as 30-40 may be a sufficient cutback week for a 50-60 mpw runner and 20 may be a sufficient cutback week for a 30 mpw runner. It’s all relative to your current fitness/training level.

Maybe some people don’t need cutback weeks when running 30 mpw. I don’t need cutback weeks when running 50 mpw but I don’t tell others to not bother with cutback weeks when they are running that level because I understand that they may need those cutback weeks.

Ed 1

I believe this to be the case especially in my situation of having had six months off and the injury. I need to let my body build up right. My main goal is 11 months away as Zeke pointed out – I have time to do it on the more cautious side.

ferris

I think “Guest” was just being elitist and just trying to poo poo those who aren’t at the same level “Guest” thinks they are at.

Anonymous

Yeah- because you know all those elite marathon runners run 50 miles per week. If I was being “elitist” I would have told him 100mpw should be a cut back from 150.

I know it’s all relative, but you must build-up mileage early. If you feel like you need to cut-back from 20-30mpw, run slower miles not less. That kind of mileage should be a starting point.

Zeke
    Guest wrote:
    I know it’s all relative, but you must build-up mileage early.

What happens if you don’t?

Anonymous

He won’t be able to handle the workouts required to take 36 minutes off his PR. He’ll need a solid base to handle speed/tempo later.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yes, that kind of mileage should be a starting point and yes, anyone who pays attention to what I say knows that I believe if you are struggling with the miles, your first attempt to right the problem should be slowing down. However, keep in mind that Ed is starting from scratch. He nearly tripled his weekly mileage in two weeks. While anyone who has been paying attention knows that I don’t necessarily see this as a problem, it is something to keep in mind. He has increased his training volume significantly relative to what he was doing only two weeks ago. Regardless of pace, this is significant and taking a bit of time to let his body regroup does not seem uncalled for. If he does 20 next week, then is on his way up to 40 and 50 in the following weeks, he’s building up plenty fast. Heck, he could be to 70 or better well before the end of the year if he wanted to continue with that path. That isn’t building up fast enough?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.