Deena Kastor to run 2005 Chicago Marathon

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Deena Kastor to run 2005 Chicago Marathon

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Ryan 13 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

CHICAGO (February 9, 2005)—Deena Kastor, the 2004 Athens Olympic Marathon

Bronze Medalist, has her sights set on breaking her 2:21:16 American Women’s record

at The 2005 LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon. Kastor and Executive Race Director

Carey Pinkowski announced today that she will return to Chicago this year and run in

the Sun., October 9 LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon and in The LaSalle Bank

Shamrock Shuffle 8K on Sun., April 3.

Kastor, 31, of Mammoth Lakes, Calif. ran in The LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon in

2002 and finished sixth with a time of 2:26:53. Six months later, Kastor set the

American Women’s Record at the 2003 Flora London Marathon with a time of 2:21:16.

She has a goal of reducing her record by more than a minute in Chicago and wants to

deliver a sub-2:20 performance to bring the American record back home.

“I want to run under 2:20,” said Kastor. “That’s my specific goal and I couldn’t think of a

more fitting race to accomplish this goal. The LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon is one of

the top races in the world—the fast course, the millions of people that line the streets

and the competitive field give you that extra motivation and adrenaline to perform at

your best. You have to be aggressive in Chicago and that’s what I intend to do.”

Pinkowski was in Athens and witnessed Kastor at her best. “We are extremely pleased

with Deena’s decision to compete in The 2005 LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon,”

commented Pinkowski. “I was privileged to be in Athens to watch Deena’s Olympic-

medal performance. She executed one of the most intelligent and patient athletic

performances ever in a major marathon competition that I have seen. It illustrated not

only Deena’s athletic ability, but also her character and determination. She will be a

wonderful addition to this year’s event.”

Kastor’s path to Chicago will include an organized progression of training and

competition with one other major race scheduled—the 10,000m final at the IAAF World

Track and Field Championships this August in Helsinski, Finland. Her personal best in

the 10,000m is 30:50 and Kastor would “ideally like to take a minute off that time.”

A big difference for Kastor this year is that she will run only one marathon—Chicago.

Last year she ran three marathons in seven months, including the U.S. Olympic Trials

where she placed second to Colleen DeReuck with a time of 2:29:38 on April 3.

In an emotional and inspirational run on August 22 on worldwide television in Athens,

she finished in third-place picking up the bronze medal with a time of 2:27:20; and was

the first American medalist in the Marathon since Joan Benoit-Samuelson’s fete at the

1984 Los Angeles games.

She finished the circuit with a disappointing run on Nov. 7 at the New York City

Marathon where she ran out of gas at mile 16, culminating a momentous year.

“Chicago is definitely going to be a different tactical race than I ran in Athens,”

commented Kastor. “Every marathon and marathon training session seems to have

given me so many learning experiences. What rings loudest is that every race is

different and that you can’t have the same formula and strategy. I am excited about

Chicago and have big plans to run fast and feel confident that my experience and

determination will help me reach my goal.”

For additional information regarding Deena Kastor’s career and images of her racing,

please visit http://www.deenadrossin.com.

The 2005 LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon

The 2005 LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon takes place Sunday, October 9 starting and

finishing in Chicago’s Grant Park. The race will be broadcast live on CBS 2 CHICAGO

and ESPN 1000. Last year’s race attracted the maximum 40,000 participants. Elite

athletes will compete for a portion of the $650,000 prize purse, the highest in the sport.

The LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon draws world-class athletes and participants from

all 50 states and from more than 120 countries across the globe.

Runners may register online at chicagomarathon.com until August 15, 2005, or when

the participation capacity has been reached (whichever comes first). Race weekend

entries will not be accepted. The entrance fee for the Marathon is $90 for U.S. runners

and $100 for international runners.

The Health & Fitness Expo will take place Friday, October 7 and Saturday, October 8,

2005. The weekend will include more than 150 exhibitors featuring the newest designs

in running gear and shoes, as well as the latest developments in sports, fitness and

nutrition.

For more information on The LaSalle Chicago Marathon visit chicagomarathon.com or

call (312) 904-9800.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.