Diamond Valley Lake Half Marathon Race Report

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Diamond Valley Lake Half Marathon Race Report

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Bart 13 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Bart

Subtitle: The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

On Saturday, November 20, I ran the Diamond Valley Lake Half Marathon (a full marathon and 10K were also offered). If you like small races with no crowd support, this is the race for you. Because the lake is a domestic water source, public access to the shoreline is restricted. Bottom line is that there are no spectators except at the finish line.

The race was run on a mostly dirt road that circles Diamond Valley Lake. The race starts with an eight mile out and back that is mostly rolling hills and finishes with five miles that are mostly downhill.

There’s not much to say about my race. After about 200 yards I was in sixth place and I stayed there until the finish. Not one person passed me, and I didn’t pass anybody. My time was 1:29:11 (6:48 pace). Despite finishing sixth, I was only third in my age group (35-39).

This was a small race, run by friendly people who were quick to answer my questions, and who gave what they promised on the website. My only complaint is that I’m pretty sure that the course was a tenth of a mile too long. For the last five miles the 10K, half marathon and marathon mile markers were at the same place. Approaching the finish line marathon mile 26, half marathon mile 13, and 10K mile 6 were at the same place, and we finished at the same place. I’m pretty sure that I raced 13.2 miles. It’s not a big of a deal because I still would have finished sixth. The only downside is that it cost me a PR, which I missed by only 20 seconds. However, I’m confident that I can top this time at the Mardi Gras Half Marathon in February.

r-at-work

alone, good job on the race… wow… while I sometimes run a nice route around a lake near me, and have raced it (but only 12K)…never alone… it’s in a regional park and way too many people fish in the lake, bike, walk their dogs and run the trail… and while it might be nice for a medium run (to be alone), I’m not sure it would be so neat for a race…

so give us you mental toughness routine to keep going all by yourself…

-Rita

r-at-work

alone, good job on the race… wow… while I sometimes run a nice route around a lake near me, and have raced it (but only 12K)…never alone… it’s in a regional park and way too many people fish in the lake, bike, walk their dogs and run the trail… and while it might be nice for a medium run (to be alone), I’m not sure it would be so neat for a race…

so give us you mental toughness routine to keep going all by yourself…

-Rita

Bart
    r-at-work wrote:
    so give us you mental toughness routine to keep going all by yourself…-Rita

I think it helps that I run all of my runs alone. For the most part I just kept my eyes on the guy in front of me (when I could see him), and tried to reel him in. It helped keep me on pace, but I never got anywhere close to catching him. For probably the last nine miles of the race I was always between one and two tenths of a mile behind him.

Bart

Bart
    r-at-work wrote:
    so give us you mental toughness routine to keep going all by yourself…-Rita

I think it helps that I run all of my runs alone. For the most part I just kept my eyes on the guy in front of me (when I could see him), and tried to reel him in. It helped keep me on pace, but I never got anywhere close to catching him. For probably the last nine miles of the race I was always between one and two tenths of a mile behind him.

Bart

SwampTiger

Hey Bart…I know Louisiana’s coast is eroding every year, but the Gulf hasn’t made it all the way to Houma yet has it? I was just wondering why a Coast Guard guy lives in Houma.

I used to live in Destrehan and work in Luling. I wasn’t a runner then, other than the occasional 3 miles for exercise. It’s got to be tough training through the summer there.

SwampTiger

Hey Bart…I know Louisiana’s coast is eroding every year, but the Gulf hasn’t made it all the way to Houma yet has it? I was just wondering why a Coast Guard guy lives in Houma.

I used to live in Destrehan and work in Luling. I wasn’t a runner then, other than the occasional 3 miles for exercise. It’s got to be tough training through the summer there.

Bart
    SwampTiger wrote:

I live in Houma, but I work in Morgan City. We’re not on the coast, but there are plenty of inland waterways here. Mostly what this office does are facility security inspections and vessel inspections at shipyards, cleanup of many, many pollution spills, as well as flying offshore to do safety inspections on the offshore oil platforms. I, however, do none of those things. I work in Admin, so my main responsibility is in personnel.

SwampTiger wrote:
    It’s got to be tough training through the summer there.

I don’t really have much trouble with the summer heat; I just either run early or late and avoid the mid-day sun. What is worse is that there aren’t many places to run around here. Everything is concrete. Everything off road is swamp. I’d love to have a nice, shady trail to run on.

Bart
    SwampTiger wrote:

I live in Houma, but I work in Morgan City. We’re not on the coast, but there are plenty of inland waterways here. Mostly what this office does are facility security inspections and vessel inspections at shipyards, cleanup of many, many pollution spills, as well as flying offshore to do safety inspections on the offshore oil platforms. I, however, do none of those things. I work in Admin, so my main responsibility is in personnel.

SwampTiger wrote:
    It’s got to be tough training through the summer there.

I don’t really have much trouble with the summer heat; I just either run early or late and avoid the mid-day sun. What is worse is that there aren’t many places to run around here. Everything is concrete. Everything off road is swamp. I’d love to have a nice, shady trail to run on.

SwampTiger

I wasn’t thinking of the sun as much as the humidity. It wasn’t uncommon to work up a sweat just going to get the mail.

I was back in Luling last summer and tried to get a tempo run in. I couldn’t do the pace. I suppose like anything you get somewhat acclimated to it. It also would have helped if I had gone earlier, but I enjoyed the SE La food and drink a bit to much the previous night.

SwampTiger

I wasn’t thinking of the sun as much as the humidity. It wasn’t uncommon to work up a sweat just going to get the mail.

I was back in Luling last summer and tried to get a tempo run in. I couldn’t do the pace. I suppose like anything you get somewhat acclimated to it. It also would have helped if I had gone earlier, but I enjoyed the SE La food and drink a bit to much the previous night.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.