DNF but not too disappointed.

Welcome! Forums Running Forum DNF but not too disappointed.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Run 14 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Run

I posted the other day that I would be running my first marathon today, and that I thought the ITB pain I had been experiencing was almost gone. Now I am reporting that neither of those things were true.

While I did attempt my first marathon today, after mile 15, the ITB pain stopped me in my tracks. Although this morning I was trying to be posititve and basically deny the very slight pain in my knee(stupid) deep down I did not have a good feeling about the race. I should not have run, and am lucky that I stopped when I did.

The race was going well until mile 12 when I felt the first stab of pain followed by a weakening of the knee. I stopped, stretched, walked, started jogging and knew it was over. Jog-walked to mile 15 where my wife was waiting, and called it quits. The really crappy part was that my splits were right on and I was feeling good until my knee blew. I went through 12 at 1:28;12.

Looking back at my log I realized that the two weeks before I began my taper were just too much, there wasnt enough recovery. In the end though I realize that I just pushed myself too far too fast. Now I have to heal. I spoke to an orthopedist today who is a freind of my dad, (why today and not three weeks ago? because I am a retard 😀 ) and he laid out my plan for recovery. Unfortunate that I have to go this far to learn a lesson, but Im still young and thickheaded. I will come back stronger and hopefully a little wiser, and during the recovery phase Im sure to learn a little more about patience.

Thanks to all for all the advice along the road,

Tim

Ryan
    Keymaster

Tim, sorry to hear about the tough break. I had a very similar experience in my first marathon attempt. Take some time to recover, get your head back into the game (I know this was very difficult for me), then take another shot. Things will come together if you learn from this and improve your preparations next time and it sounds like you have already begun the learning process.

MothAudio

Tim, thanks for reporting back. Well, I’m sure you’re disappointed but you live and learn. The marathon is a difficult and fickle beast. If it was that EZ, everyone… you get the point. Good news is that the condition you have is treatable and looking at your split time, you’ve got some speed!

Once you’re healthy you’ll benefit from all the training you’ve put in. It really takes 2-3 years of consistent training to have the strenght to maintain the proper training to not only reach your goals, but as you found out, get to the start/finishline in one piece. The long runs will get easier as you get stronger. Next time it’ll feel that much sweeter!

MikE

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.