Do I run the marathon based on Pace or Heart Rate?

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Do I run the marathon based on Pace or Heart Rate?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  bandmn 14 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

bandmn

I have a question about my marathon pace.

I am running my first marathon June 12. I have run 3 long runs so far (18,20,20). Yesterdays long run went well…no GI distress for those that might remember my questions to weeks ago (Thanks for the advice!).

Yesterday was upper 50’s, light wind. For the full 20 miles I ran a consistant 8:45 pace. My first 2 miles my heart rate was 127. My last 2 miles my HR was 153. I am almost 40. I am averaging 28-38 miles a week due to also multisport training.

The day before I ran a 5K PR of 20:13. I have run 1/2 marys at 1:38 and 1:43.

The race starts at 6am, north west Iowa. Pretty flat.

**When I actually run the marathon in June what kind of pace would I be smart to shoot for?

I know that there are all sorts of calculators to figure that, but I imagine that your experience would be better information!

**Also….should I race trying to maintain the pace…or the heart rate?

Again, thanks to all for the advice!!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Due to cardiac drift, I would not suggest using heartrate. I would say stick with pace/effort.

As for what pace to run, your training over the next month or so will dictate a lot. However, I would suggest 3:40-3:45 as a conservative goal, depending on the course, with a stretch goal of maybe 3:35.

Ed 1

Your pace should be that at which you ran your long training runs at if you felt tired but good at the end of them. Also, Ryan had a good comment about the course and weather conditions dictating much as well. I kept my pace at my goal in all of my training runs and finished my first (so far only) marathon with-in 5 minutes of goal. Trust your training pace for your first marathon to enjoy the experience and finish that is the most important thing for a first marathon. You have plenty others to shoot for cutting your time down once you know what a marathon is all about.

cameron

run based on pace but keep an eye on the HRM to make sure you’re not “red lining” too soon. in my one decent marathon, i kept my HR in check for 20M running at pace then went for broke in the last 10K.

here’s my HRM data (15 sec increments) from two marathons…2001 Lakefront (3:08) and 2002 Boston (3:24). i’m 31 and my HR generally is usually higher than predicted from formula’s…

2002baa.gif

Evets Sberk

I race purely by feel…I find wearing a watch, worrying about splits, counting heart rate ruins the “ZEN” aspect of racing. Please dont read this as I dont believe that racing/running using a metrics based system is a bad thing, its just not for me. No I’m not a recreational “also ran” (I race like I mean it!). Whats the point…try several systems, figure out what suits you best, then use it to your best advantage. Enjoy yourself!

MothAudio

Thanks for posting the HR measurements. It appears the Boston chart echos my comments in the “benefits of running a long run slow” thread where myself and Birkierunner were discussing HR slowing down at the end of the marathon. Interesting. Or was that due to the hills and gently sloping finish, or something else?

MikE

Ryan
    Keymaster
    MothAudio wrote:
    Thanks for posting the HR measurements. It appears the Boston chart echos my comments in the “benefits of running a long run slow” thread where myself and Birkierunner were discussing HR slowing down at the end of the marathon. Interesting. Or was that due to the hills and gently sloping finish, or something else?

Looks to me like a sure sign of hitting the wall. I’m betting the wheels started falling off at about 2:30 and Cameron held things together in some way until about 2:50-3:00. At 3:00, he completely ran out of gas. Cameron, how close am I?

cameron

ryan…you’re dead nutz on…the wheels came off in BOSTON. the line in red i felt was more ideal…20M of pace then have something in the tank for the last 10K.

i’m intending on running a 50M trail run in < 10 days with my HRM and will post the results.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.