Ever take part in a race series?

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Ever take part in a race series?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  jtpaten 12 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

jtpaten

The Wisconsin Off-Road Trail Running Series standings have been updated and two Hillrunner.com denizens are in the hunt for overall series wins.

After two races, Anne is leading her age group and ranked second overall among the 5K women. Yours truly is ranked second in his age group and third overall for the 10K men.

Judging by last year's results, few top finishers ran more than four of the seven races in the series and none ran five or more of the races. (To be eligible for the overall championship awards, runners must compete three races. The four highest scores are used to calculate the overall and age group scores. Five bonus points are awarded to runners for each additional event they compete in.)

At both individual races I’ve been awarded 1st place medals for my age group despite being beat handily at both venues by a guy one year younger. Since he finished within the top three at each race, he was taken out of the mix for age group awards. That could happen at the end of the series, too, assuming we maintain our present standings.

It didn’t/doesn’t feel right to accept 1st place in my age group knowing I wasn’t. But now that I’m actually ranked in the top three overall, I suddenly feel I’d be willing to give up an age group award for an even higher honor. I’ve never been in a position to “win” anything outright, so this is a new quandary for me.

(Let it be known that Anne has won her age group at both races fair and square. Congrats, Anne!)

Having never taken part in a race series, I find this sort of competition quite motivational. To be honored at the end of it all would be cool, if only as a measure of one’s racing consistency and dedication over several months.

Has anyone else here taken part in a race series? Was it a rewarding experience or not?

Anne

Joel, I was glad I had the opportunity to meet you Sunday, sorry I missed Adimal.

This is my first race series of any type & I look forward to the next event as soon as I'm done with the last race. Part of the appeal is the atmosphere, it's competitive but also very encouraging and supportive. Part of that may have to do with the smaller number of participants.
    I've had the chance to meet some of the other series runners and seeing  familiar faces every month is nice.  With the exception of the Eau Claire race I plan to make all the others in the series. They're too much fun to miss.

For me, the points system seems to keep me  motivated to keep pushing myself.  When I wiped out I knew 3 women had passed me & I was determined to catch up & pass every one of them so I wouldn't lose my spot.

I think Hillrunner.com members should run the Devil's Head event August 27th.  Special awards to bloodiest body part and muddiest shoes.  😉  Of course, fastest time too.

Congratulations on your series standings!

Zeke

In 2004 I ran 6 of 7 races in a local series.  Even though I beat the guy who won the series in each of those 6 races, I came in 2nd because the other guy ran in all 7 races and racked up more points that me.  I thought they needed a rule, like taking scores from your top-5 races.  Oh well, I haven't ran any of their races since – mainly because they haven't fit into my schedule, but I'm probably a little bitter too.  Plus I was tired of coming in 7th with the top-6 being 16-18 year olds. 

Joel, I've noticed that some of your posts are turning into Silent Sport editor's letter. 

Anne

It only seems fair to take the top scores of a set number of races in the series.

Zeke, you didn't take any consolation in the fact that the only men who beat you WERE  16-18 year olds?

Maybe that's my age speaking but I get great satisfaction in knowing that those ahead of me were much younger. I'd rather have a 26 yr. old finish ahead of me then a 46 yr. old.

Do we have guidelines as to what running topics can be posted here?

Wilson

Hi, I'm Wilson. I go way way back with a couple of you, including Ryan and GTF, from Merv and the DBK.

I've participated in a few series and generally think that they are fun. Back in NY I was part of the upstate NY xc series, which is still in existence. It was very very competitive and you had to be in about 15:30 5k shape just to place in the top 10-12 at any given race. In that series they took the top 4 of 6 races, so you didn't have to go to each one.

More recently I've done a 7 race series here in Alaska. It's a cumulative scoring system, for both age group and open. Not perfect, but not bad. They usually have about a dozen do all 7 races, and these aren't usually the top runners, and they don't usually place in the top 3 for the overall standings. If you win 4 of the races outright you have good chance of winning the whole thing, but you could lose your own age group award if someone did 6 or 7 of the races. So the system isn't perfect.

I really like it because the schedule challenging and diverse. In chronology the series is: 5k road, 10k road, 1 mile track, 1/2 marathon (easy trials and roads), 16.5 mile rugged trail and roads), 5 mile road, marathon (rugged trail and road).

Ryan
    Keymaster

Do we have guidelines as to what running topics can be posted here?

No. As long as it's running related and it's not offensive or spam, it's fair game.

Personally, I've never taken part in this kind of series, although a coworker has been trying to get me to do some WORS races since the series first began.

Anne

Hi Wilson,  I like the idea of different distances and terrain. A mixed bag of strengths and weaknesses for all runners.

Alaska…I bet you have to watch out for more then roots and rocks when you run.

Anne

No. As long as it's running related and it's not offensive or spam, it's fair game.

Thank you for the clarification Ryan.
    Personally, I've never taken part in this kind of series, although a coworker has been trying to get me to do some WORS races since the series first began.

Ryan, you really have to run one of these. If for no other reason then to look at racing in a different light. I didn't realize how much it revitalized my running until this past month.  We've talked about motivation, this has given me another reason to get pumped up about getting the miles in.

I promise you will not be sorry, maybe a little scraped up, but there will be no regrets.

Anne

Obviously I have to some work to do with the quote feature.

jtpaten

Scraped up is right. Anne and I both fell during our respective races but bounced back quickly to regain our previously held positions in the field. We we're bloodied but not beaten!

The variety in that Alaska series sounds cool but daunting. Win that sucker and you'd have reason to crow.

Yeah, Zeke, some of what I've written here has ended up in my mag. Some of what I start writing for the mag winds up here too. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I've found this to be a good forum for bouncing around ideas relevant to readers in both places.

Wilson

“The variety in that Alaska series sounds cool but daunting. Win that sucker and you'd have reason to crow.”

A perennial also ran or n'er do well master's like me could possibly pull it off–I got 2nd in 2004, doing 6 of 7, and was on my way to a 2nd or 3rd last year before getting hurt. The top local guys (~32-33 min 10k/low 2:30s marathoners) usually come out on top by doing about 5 races. Two years ago we had Kenyan Moses Waweru run some real fast times in some of the series races, but he left for greener pastures in the midwest.

Zeke

Moses Waweru run some real fast times in some of the series races, but he left for greener pastures in the midwest.

He was the top running in the Twin Cities last year and will probably be again this year.

GTF

I have.  Each series was as rewarding as the sum of its parts allowed it to be — usually for the better though not always adequate motivation to stick with it for long enough. 
    I think my favorite was a 4- or 5-race weekly (Wednesday evenings, IIRC) xc series in the fall (with a sibling series in the spring.)  I believe it was sponsored by a local running store, $0 to enter, standings scored on cumulative time, each one was 5K-8K in a different park/location.  This was in the middle of a sigificant metro area (4th largest city in the US) and drew some good competition. 
    I did enjoy an xc series that Wilson helped to cobble together before he fled to whiter pastures, though it was more of a regional competition and a bit far-flung plus the dates were seemingly rather randomly spaced.  I think it may have been cancelled after its inaugural year (one or more of the events was cancelled) but was later revived.  I believe the standings were scored on placement versus other series participants. 
    There is a local middle distance road race series (2K, 3K, 1 mile) in the town of 100K where I live, held on the 3rd Thursday of each month through the summer (June, July, August) and each is held in historic/shopping districts so that it is more like an evening outing for participant and spectator alike, with ample post-race feeding/drowning establishments nearby.  This is typically a fun one, though the mile has been hampered by rain on occasion, and one that I enjoy volunteering for if not running in it.  Standings in this one are also based on cumulative time.
    There is also a local free xc series that alternates locations and distances (5.8K & 5K) on nearly every Saturday morning from September through May.  Fun stuff, standings are scored by placement, though the depth of competition is often lacking and one of the alternating locations is unfortunately well out of town. 

Wilson

I was going to ask how the xc series was going. We barely got it off the ground in 03. Hopefully they can keep that going.

GTF

I skipped it after that first year, but would like to partake again this year.

Wilson

I had planned on doing 6 of the 7 race series this year, but it might be 7. I feel like such a running geek but it's the main game in town, and I jumped into the 16.5 mile trail-road race this past weekend. Check out this trend though,

5k (May), 8th
    10k (June), 7th
    1 mile (june), 6th
    1/2 marathon (july), 4th
    16.5 (july) 3rd

The next two, 8k and marathon will be tough. Top 5 will be very tough in the 8k because it will have several college and high school xc runners, but a decent goal for the marathon.

Anyway, I'm now in 3rd overall, 1st master's. If I complete the 7 I'll probably get 2nd or 3rd. Not nearly in the top 3 in town here. I feel like a points whore.
    ;D
    The prize is fleece jacket or vest with your name on it. If I make it the podium going to ask them to put my wife's name on instead, because she has gone to all the races and cheered. She can no longer race and misses it.

Anne

Points Whore.  😉

Congratulations on your standings and I think it's very nice of you to offer your prize to your support team. 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.