Final quality workout before this weekend’s 5K

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Final quality workout before this weekend’s 5K

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Husker 13 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Husker

Ok, here’s my plan for tomorrow’s workout: Couple miles warm up, 1 mile at 5K goal race pace, easy recovery run – perhaps up to a mile in length, then another 1 mile at 5K race pace, ending with a couple miles cool down.

This would be my final quality workout before a 5K this weekend in which I really want to do well. Wednesday and Thursday would be easy days, followed by rest on Friday and of course the race on Saturday.

So, how does my plan sound? The long recovery between the mile intervals tomorrow is more than I would usually take, but I’m gearing this workout more towards getting comfortable with race pace than anything else. Also I don’t want to overdo it this close to race day. My overall mileage for the week will be about 70 to 75% of what I’ve been doing lately.

Ryan
    Keymaster

If it were me, I’d probably stick with 800s at goal race pace and maybe finish up with a few relaxed strides but I’m sure you’ve found what works best for yourself.

Husker

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:12 pm Post subject:

If it were me, I’d probably stick with 800s at goal race pace and maybe finish up with a few relaxed strides but I’m sure you’ve found what works best for yourself.

Funny you should say that, I’m still pretty much experimenting with what works for me. I got the idea of 2 x 1 mile at 5K goal pace from Pfitz’s Road Racing book. He actually has 2 x 2K at goal pace for the quality workout the week of the 5K race. I changed it to mile repeats to make it a little easier on myself. Due to your post I’m now toying with doing 4 800s at race pace with plentiful recovery between each. Same overall mileage at race pace, but it would seem a better workout to me for this semi-taper week.

Ryan
    Keymaster
    Husker wrote:
    Same overall mileage at race pace, but it would seem a better workout to me for this semi-taper week.

This line kind of caught my eye. I guess I should stipulate that I would do 800s if it was a goal race. If it was a train-through race, I’d obviously train through it with my normal workouts. If it was a relatively important but not goal race, I’d probably do something in the middle. In short, what I did with the workout would depend on how important the upcoming race was.

Zeke
    Ryan wrote:
    If it were me, I’d probably stick with 800s at goal race pace and maybe finish up with a few relaxed strides…

This is what I was thinking too. Mile repeats seem a little long, especially the week of your goal race.

Husker

I did the 4 x 800 workout, it went pretty well. I guess I refered to this as a semi-taper week since it is #2 in importance on my spring race list. Boston is definitely #1. But I planned my schedule to coinside this week with a scale back week in my marathon plan. I will get two fast workouts this week – today’s 4 x 800 and this weekend’s 5K, plus two medium distance runs. I’ll come back hard with tempo and long run again next week.

I do really want to do well at this 5K too.

Husker

Mile repeats seem a little long, especially the week of your goal race.

Zeke,

I was thinking the same thing. Why do you think Pfitz would suggest an even longer 2 x 2K workout the week of a goal 5K race? Just for the mental side of it, e.g. a psychological boost if it goes well?

Ryan
    Keymaster
    Husker wrote:
    Why do you think Pfitz would suggest an even longer 2 x 2K workout the week of a goal 5K race? Just for the mental side of it, e.g. a psychological boost if it goes well?

This also struck me as quite odd. Is it possible that he was suggesting to do those at LT pace? I don’t think I’d even suggest that but it would make more sense than doing that kind of workout at 5k race pace.

Husker

My mistake, I read the schedule table incorrectly. The 2 x 2K workout is at 5K goal pace, but it is the week BEFORE the week of the race. All Pfitz has for race week is 5 x 200 meters one day as a basic speed workout as well as some medium range stuff and general aerobic runs on the other days. My apologies to Pete!

Well, now I’m really glad I changed to 800s this morning.

Ed 1

In case I don’t get back in here before your race – Best of Luck on what you cannot control & do us all proud on what you can control.

Husker

Thanks Ed, I shall run my best. I smell a PR…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.