finding speed

Welcome! Forums Running Forum finding speed

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  sueruns 9 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

sueruns

I'm almost 4 weeks post marathon.  I tried to some pick-ups yesterday and what was just a fun, easy thing pre-marathon, was sheer torture.  (3 minutes at 5k pace).  I obviously have no tolerance whatsoever.

I'm thinking of just going out and running a 5k so I know what torture is, knowing that I will “gut it out” in a race.  Anyone try this sneak attack.  thoughts  ???

Chris

Sue, you may just need more time.  I remember trying to race a 5K about 3 weeks after Grandma's a couple years back.  Though I was VERY strong my legs were flat.  I felt very slow.  You need some time to rest.  Marathon training is not good for feeling comfortable during the first 4K of a 5K.   

If you want to talk about a painful 5K I'm running my first race in 2 years tomorrow.  Total mileage for those 2 years….about 50.  My goal pace will be my marathon pace from 2 years back! 

WI MTP

Sue – If you want a mental pick me up – We could go to the track and run a 5k and after you crush me you should feel a little better  ;D

I usually start with 10-15 x 30 seconds @ 5k pace as 1st fast recovery run – just let the legs feel it without any real pressure.

or

10 x 1 minute @ 10k pace.

Heal up!

sueruns

so, I'm being a little impatient (surprise, surprise)?  I'm not Type A!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took a complete week off!!!  :). 

Chris-  good luck tomorrow and I hope you surprise yourself!

MTP: I'm not falling for it, you'd let me carrying laps 1-10 while your warming up and then blow past me while i'm gasping for air..

Ryan
    Keymaster

Sue, as a guy with no true leg speed, just a lot of staying power, I know that feeling all too well. My suggestion: start with some strides. Just some 15 second bursts of speed with full recovery, get your legs moving some. This is a great way to get started again. Actually, it's something I've been doing myself recently and the only thing I had done for 6 months, give or take, before running that 5K a few weeks back.

WI MTP

Sue I can hold 9:08 pace all day  ;D (Ice Age 50M) but I really doubt I could break 19 in a 5k – I am not to sure about 20 either.

Anne

Sue, I don't have any input regarding your original post but I wanted to convey a belated congratulations for your race in Boston.
    That was a neat to check their website & see your name on the masters list.

Hope it was a wonderful experience.

WI MTP

Congrats of the 5k win  ;D on Sunday – Still some speed in those legs

Ryan
    Keymaster

So let me get this straight…the one who was complaining about no tolerance for 5K pace on Friday won a 5K two days later? Now, that's a quick turnaround! ;D

WI MTP

Sue “The Punisher”

I know if I do not show up to an event in top shape, she will soundly defeat me!

Maybe by the end of summer I will be able to match her pace –  I think I might be able to take her in the 50M and above distance.  Come to think of it,  I do not think I have ever beat her in a 5K.

Congrats Fox-RunR

sueruns

So let me get this straight…the one who was complaining about no tolerance for 5K pace on Friday won a 5K two days later? Now, that's a quick turnaround! ;D

okay, well, I didn't listen too much to advice and ran the stupid thing.  😛  However, I did take some previous advice you gave and ran by feel.  So, although I wore a watch, I didn't take any splits. 

bad news, it was a great time……but I suspect too great……the course is the same each year and I suspect the same shortness.  darn.

It “felt” like 40 seconds should be added to my time    I wrongly assumed this would be a certified course

corina

Wow Sue, congrats on the overall win and a smoking fast time!!!
    I had no idea when I met you that you were sueruns – sue  😀

sueruns

Corina-  ;D  well, I know who you are!! 
    The announcer at awards wondered where you were.  He said “certainly this runner didn't go home today she's from Wisconsin”. 😀

corina

It hurt not being there for the awards, I'll admit that. That's where that fine line of family balance gets thrown in there. 😉 My oldest daughter's birthday was Tuesday and hubster needed to be at work. Maybe he thought Wisconsin was somewhere on the west coast?? 😀

I would say that us Wisconsin gals definitely made our mark at Boston.  Congrats again Sue, on one heck of a run.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.