First Ever 5K Win

Welcome! Forums Running Forum First Ever 5K Win

This topic contains 22 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  stealthycat 13 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

stealthycat

It’s quite laughable that I won this race with such a slow time. 😆

http://www.arkansasrunner.com/misc/results2005/faces5k05.htm

It cracks me up, but nonetheless, it IS my first win… ha ha ha

(Ginny)

stormcatcher

Have to start somewhere.

GTF

Good start, a win is still a win and you can only race those who show up.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I was about to post the same thing as GTF. You can only race those who show up. Good job beating the competition that was there.

cameron

#1 is still #1

i won a race back in ’97 and felt the same way. i mustered a 29:11 for a road 5M and was the first (registered) runner to finish. a high school track athlete bandited the race. it was during track season and due to state athletic code, if he would have entered the race he would have been kicked out of track.

regardless, it is cool to finish first. many never get the opportunity.

Anne

Congratulations Ginny, you came in well ahead of the competition.

How did you feel about the race? Did you have specific goals in mind?

stealthycat
    Anne wrote:
    Congratulations Ginny, you came in well ahead of the competition.

How did you feel about the race? Did you have specific goals in mind?

Hmm, I felt like the race was “OK”. It was just a small local race, and fairly disorganised. My goal was to run 22:00 flat, but I am in base building, so I am not very concerned about it. 🙂 It was fun.

stealthycat

Thanks, ya’ll. Still looking forward to much better times this year. Winning the race is a nice boost, but none of the top runners from our area were there, so it was just luck. But I plan to be kicking some *real* booty soon enough, I am patient. 😉

SwampTiger

I won my first race of any kind in my life last year with a 19:49 5K. Like you, I felt a little odd winning with that time, almost like I didn’t really deserve it. But it was fun. I actually won another 5K back in my hometown a couple of weeks later. My sister was the first woman, which was cool. It is all about finding a race without any fast people.

Ed 1
    SwampTiger wrote:
    It is all about finding a race without any fast people.

I would rather lose to the best than beat the worst. Even though Ryan, Mark & Double were cooled down & walking back to the car after the 10K at Jingle Bell when I crossed the line – it was fun to run with (behind) them.

But that is me personally.

stealthycat
    Ed 1 wrote:

I would rather lose to the best than beat the worst.

But that is me personally.

But it is a nice confidence boost to win a race, even though you know the real reason you did is because the faster folks didn’t come. I don’t really count it as a real win, I just thought it was funny and I would share. 😉

SwampTiger

So I guess I should have put a smiley face after that statement. While it was fun to actually win a race, I don’t “really” think that is what it is all about. It was a joke.

On the other hand, I don’t think running behind the fast people is “fun”. When I see them race, I think “Wow” and I admire their speed, but I don’t find any inspiration there. I enjoy competing with people near my ability, but most of my motivation comes from competing with myself. I know I can run faster and I want to find out how much faster. That’s why I train.

Bart
    SwampTiger wrote:
    On the other hand, I don’t think running behind the fast people is “fun”. When I see them race, I think “Wow” and I admire their speed, but I don’t find any inspiration there. I enjoy competing with people near my ability, but most of my motivation comes from competing with myself. I know I can run faster and I want to find out how much faster. That’s why I train.

I agree. I prefer to compete with runners who are near my ability, as well. The problem with running behind the fast people is that you never get to see the winner cross the line. No matter how exciting the finish is, the slower runners (including me) miss it.

Bart

Ryan
    Keymaster
    Ed 1 wrote:
    I would rather lose to the best than beat the worst.

I definitely agree with that. I’ve always said I’d rather finish 10th against strong competition than win against weak competition. However, once the gun goes off, you can only race who is there and a win is a win.

r-at-work

first of all… congrats… a win is a win 😀 …

there are lots of other thoughts in the last couple posts, like inspiration… watched 8 Kenyans fly by during the DC Cherry Blossom 10 miler a bunch of years ago… it was inspiring (maybe more like awesome)but also discouraging since it was painfully obvious most of the people running the race could never hope to be near that good…

for me it’s the ‘competing with myself’ sentiment that keeps my going… and an occasional age group place or win… there are two women in the 50-55 group in this area who are fast enough to sometime win the whole women’s side of the race… but mostly it’s about who shows up, there are a few Russian women who live in this area too, they are professionals…

if I only ran to win races, I’d have to take up another sport… but it’s like frosting on the cake… but I’ll eat cake any time it’s offered, even without frosting, especially chocolate..

-Rita

stealthycat

I definitely agree with that. I’ve always said I’d rather finish 10th against strong competition than win against weak competition. However, once the gun goes off, you can only race who is there and a win is a win.

Very true. Having been a back-of the pack runner and worked my way up to the point that I am, I can say it is means a lot more to finish in the top 5-10 women at a race where the best (open runners) in the state show up, than to win with a paltry time at a race where there was no competition. 😉

Ed 1

How stupid of me to forget to congratulate you – a win is a win and it must have been fun as well as a big confidence boost. 😉 My straight to the point self won out again 🙄 Sorry. WAY TO GO!!! 😀

stealthycat
    Ed 1 wrote:
    How stupid of me to forget to congratulate you – a win is a win and it must have been fun as well as a big confidence boost. 😉 My straight to the point self won out again 🙄 Sorry. WAY TO GO!!! 😀

No apology necessary, man. I didn’t expect a pat on the back for 5K that I typically run faster in training. 😀 😉

Zeke

Congrats, that’s something I’ve never done.

stealthycat wrote:
    But it is a nice confidence boost to win a race

Wouldn’t it be more of a confidence boost to have run sub-20, than to have won in 22:30?

stealthycat
    Zeke wrote:
    Congrats, that’s something I’ve never done.

Wouldn’t it be more of a confidence boost to have run sub-20, than to have won in 22:30?

HELL, YES. 😯

Running better TIMES is much higher on my priority list than this…. 😆

SwampTiger
    Ryan wrote:
    I’ve always said I’d rather finish 10th against strong competition than win against weak competition.

I suspect that has something to do with the fact that you can finish 10th against strong competition.

Ryan
    Keymaster
    SwampTiger wrote:
    I suspect that has something to do with the fact that you can finish 10th against strong competition.

Remember, strong competition is relative. What I basically mean is I’d rather be pushed in a race than go out on a solo time trial effort just to say I won. Sure, I’d rather be pushed and win but I’d rather be pushed and lose than end up doing little more than a time trial. Of course, once again, you pick your race and the competition is whoever shows up. If you beat those who show up, congrats are in order.

SwampTiger
    Ryan wrote:
    Remember, strong competition is relative. What I basically mean is I’d rather be pushed in a race than go out on a solo time trial effort just to say I won. Sure, I’d rather be pushed and win but I’d rather be pushed and lose than end up doing little more than a time trial.

So I think we are saying nearly the same thing. I said I enjoy competing against people about my ability. Saying I ran in a race with you wouldn’t do much for me. But if in that same race I battled somebody over the last few miles to see who was pushing too hard and who had something left for the finish, that would be great. Even if we finished after you ran your cool down and had driven halfway home. 🙂

By the way stealthycat, congrats and thanks for starting this thread. Interesting topic.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.