Five world season leads in New York

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Five world season leads in New York

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Ryan 10 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

New York, USA – A warm Saturday evening (2) in New York City suffered only for some fickle breezes at Icahn Stadium on Randall's Island. The Reebok Grand Prix, in its first year as a Grand Prix status event on the IAAF World Athletics Tour, saw world leading times in five events, one Area Record, and one blazing-fast, but slightly windy, 100m.

Tyson Gay has been in a few windy races by now, and says he's almost his own wind gauge. “I could feel it picking up when I was in the blocks,” he reported after tonight's race, “and I thought, calm down, calm down.” It did, but not enough.

Gay took almost 70 metres to get clear of Bahamian Derrick Atkins, then stopped the clock at an eye-popping 9.76. The stadium held its breath waiting for the wind reading, having an eye on the flags already, and exhaled when it was announced as 2.2, faster than allowable for a World record. Still, Gay ran 9.79 two weeks ago with a 2.5 tailwind, and now 9.76 with 2.2.

IAAF article

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.