Getting close to rock and roll…

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Getting close to rock and roll…

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Peter 13 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Peter

This morning I ran a 5 mile time trial, to gauge my fitness level for Crazylegs next week. 2 weeks ago I ran 31:20, and I was hoping to be able to run 6 minute pace or better on the 30th, so I figured splitting the difference today would be good (30:40). Was I in for some shock and awe!

1st mile – 5:54 Was downhill, against a slight wind – felt really smooth

2nd mile – 5:50 With the wind, again felt great

3rd mile – 5:56 Still with the wind, starting to work here

4th mile – 6:05 Turned around, against the wind, knew I slowed a bit

5th mile – 5:51 Really pushing, wanted now to be greedy and go under 30, yes!

So a 29:36, makes me think I should perhaps reconsider my goals for next Saturday, ya think?

Best part about it, aside from unplanned time trials, I am doing no speedwork at all, and this is the fastest I’ve run in 2 years, and that was a 5K in 18:05. makes me excited about racing some this summer!

See you on the 30th (who exactly besides Ryan will be there?)

Ryan
    Keymaster

Peter, it sounds like some time focusing on the base is paying off in big ways. As for me, I registered online yesterday so it looks like I better show up. Like you, I wasn’t knowing what to expect but, also off nothing but base training, I put up 40 miles in 2 days last week averaging 6:20-something pace, finishing off with a 12 miler at 6:09 pace. Assuming I’m not dead on my feet on the 30th, I guess going under 6:00 pace shouldn’t be too difficult for me either.

Zeke

How the hell did you do that on less than 50 mpw? I’d bet you can run close to a minute faster in a race.

Peter
    Zeke wrote:
    How the hell did you do that on less than 50 mpw? I’d bet you can run close to a minute faster in a race.

Actually, my last 5 weeks have been 52, 49, 53, 47 and 45 so far this week (in 5 days!)

I’ve got a pipe dream that says 28:40 is possible. I’ve always had the leg speed, it’s just sustaining it that’s been the problem. And as far as those pace calculators go, my drops like a rock after 10K. I want to be able to get a good 1/2 marathon at the end of next month to give me confidence going into my sumer training for Chicago. Right now I’m hoping for 1:25 or better.

Ryan – I’m registerering later today. Next week let’s set up a tenative plan to meet either before or (definitely) after. I’ll most likely be parking btwn the Kohl Center (packet pickup) and Camp Randall (finish). Talk to you later…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.