Goucher: How has his career progressed?

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Goucher: How has his career progressed?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  randys 14 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

randys
    Participant

I am reading ‘Running with the Buffaloes’; a late 90’s chronical if the UC xc team.

I haven’t finished the book but in the first half its clear that Alan Goucher is considered a stand-out runner for the team.

Since it was his senior year I am curious if his running career has progressed since college. Has he been running as a pro?

btw: I really like this book. It makes me wish I had discovered running at an earlier age. I am sure I would have joined teams in HS and college.

On the other hand, by starting in my 40’s, I do get to enjoy new PR’s throughout middle-age.

Randy

Zeke

Randy,

Here’s some info on his career. It looks to be a year or two old. I deleted the X-C stuff from 1998 and prior, so as not to ruin the ending of the book for you. I haven’t heard much from him lately. If he doesn’t make the Oly team this year, I wouldn’t be surprised if he retired.

Career Highlights: 2000 Olympic Trials 5,000m champion; 2000 USA 12K and 4K XC champion; 1999 U.S. 5,000 champion; 3rd in 5,000m at 2001 USA Outdoors; 1998 NCAA 5,000 champion; 1997 and 1998 NCAA 3,000 indoor champion.

Plagued by injuries the last two seasons, Goucher is looking for a healthy outdoor season in 2002 … Goucher started competing in track in seventh grade, trying all the events including the high jump and hurdles. He says he didn’t get serious about training until his sophomore year of high school… earned his degree in communications at Colorado…bypassed his final indoor season of collegiate eligibility so that he can run on the open circuit…worked in summer of 1998 at the USOC’s International Games Preparation Warehouse…likes playing the drums and flying sailplanes…as a teenager, he won an essay contest sponsored by Soaring magazine, and took his first solo flight in a sailplane at age 15… 2001 season got off to a slow start after battling post-Olympic Achilles problems, but he came back to final in the 5,000m at World Outdoors … Married distance runner and former NCAA champion Kara Grgas-Wheeler September 16, 2001.

2001: 3rd in 5000m at USA Outdoors (13:30.36)…11th in 5,000m at World Outdoor (13:24.00)…2nd in mile at Peregrine Systems U.S. Open (3:55.47)…ran fastest 3,000m by an American in 2001 in Monaco (7:34.96PR)…3:36.54 1,500m PR July 17 in Stockholm…ranked #3 at 1500m & #2 at 5,000m in U.S. by T&FN…bests of 3:36.54, 7:34.96 and 13:22.29.

2000: Coming back from a number of injuries, including an Achilles problem, Goucher won the 5,000 at Olympic trials (13:27.06)…13th in Olympic 5000m (13:43.20)…won both Short Course (4k) and Long Course (12k) national cross country championships…skipped the World Cross Championships because of a sore Achilles tendon…ranked #1 U.S. at 5000m…best of 13:24.34 (1st heat, Olympic qualifying).

1999: Won 5,000 at USA Outdoors (13:25.59)… 12th at World Champs (13:39.24)…ranked #7 in 1500, #2 in 3,000 in U.S. and #2 in 5,000 by T&FN… bests of 3:38.50, 7:43.31 and 13:11.25.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Zeke, I also haven’t heard much about him in recent years. In 1999/2000, he seemed to be the heir apparent to Kennedy in the 5000. Since that time, he has seemed to disappear. I couldn’t even find an athlete bio of him on the USATF website and a quick Google search brought up nothing more recent than what you found.

Assuming he doesn’t come back in a big way this year, I also wouldn’t be surprised if he calls it quits and moves on with his life. It just seems like he fell so quickly from his “next American star” stature that something must really be wrong. I’d love to see him make a big comeback this year but, if he doesn’t, I can’t picture him continuing to struggle this way.

randys
    Participant

Thanks for the info. This being an olympic year I was wondering if he (or any of his teammates) might be contending for a spot.

They would be mid to late 20’s by now. Isn’t that peak age for competators at the 5k, 10k and longer distances.

One name I recognize from the book, but not from the team, is Alan Culpepper. He’s going to the olympics this year after a 2:11 at this years trials.

Randy

Zeke

This being an olympic year I was wondering if he (or any of his teammates) might be contending for a spot.

I don’t think any of his teammate have a shot. However, at the end of the book it talks about recruiting the Torres twins. I would imagine that Jorge will be competing at the Trials. Culpepper maybe run the trials too, just for the competition, but I believe he’s committed to the marathon in Athens.

ccbrian4
    Ryan wrote:
    Since that time, he has seemed to disappear. I couldn’t even find an athlete bio of him on the USATF website and a quick Google search brought up nothing more recent than what you found.

Adam finished 23rd in the 4k at the US XC Champs in Feb.

Zeke

23rd for a guy that won the NCAA meet 5-6 years ago? That’s all but disappeared. Not very encouraging heading into an Olympic year.

Ryan
    Keymaster
    ccbrian4 wrote:

Ditto Zeke. For a guy with his history, that is a disappearing act. We’re talking about the Olympic Trials champ from 4 years ago and someone who one would have expected to make great improvements in the 4 years since then. Hopefully, this was the first step in a comeback attempt.

ccbrian4
    Ryan wrote:
    ccbrian4 wrote:

Ditto Zeke. For a guy with his history, that is a disappearing act. We’re talking about the Olympic Trials champ from 4 years ago and someone who one would have expected to make great improvements in the 4 years since then. Hopefully, this was the first step in a comeback attempt.

Right. Hopefully he’s finally healthy again and coming back. We’ll see what happens this summer.

magpie
    Zeke wrote:

23rd for a guy that won the NCAA meet 5-6 years ago? That’s all but disappeared. Not very encouraging heading into an Olympic year.

That was Steve Slattery running with Goucher’s bib #. Check the photos, there are none of Goucher but Slattery does appear yet Slattery is nowhere in the results. USATF likely goofed the transfer of the bib #.

Confirmation

This topic seems to be one that gets kicked around frequently on sites like Letsrip (at least it did when I used to look in there.) I have never been much of a fan of his, but I have seen him bashed too often for no good reason (karmic, perhaps) and for honesty’s sake, the guy needs to be given a break. He seems to be the kind who is his own worst enemy, in that his fire fuels him to go too hard too often, despite efforts from his coach to rein him in. On top of that, he has been treading a fine line with injury — back off too much, and he will not be ready to meet his performance expectations. I really would be quite surprised if he chose to hang ’em up after this season, regardless of how it may play out. It is a much bigger game at that level and I have seen far greater names/talents come and go more quickly than Goucher has — 13:11 is nothing to be ashamed of.

ccbrian4

magpie

Hmm, I stand corrected — I should question my sources more closely! 😉

Anonymous

A few months ago, I read an article about him suffering from depression. He’s getting some help and meds and, from what I understand, is going to make a comeback from there.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.