GPS recommendations

Welcome! Forums Running Forum GPS recommendations

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      peace467
      Participant

I'm thinking of purchasing a GPS system.  Any thoughts or recommendations?  If I buy it via this site, how do I go about doing so that this site gets credit for the purchase?

In particular, I've been looking at the Garmin 205 and 305.  How accurate is it in the woods?  I'd like to try it out at places like the Nordic Trail or Lapham Peak and wonder if it would be an accurate gauge of those courses. 

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

jtpaten
      Participant

My 205 isn't reliable for significant stretches in the woods. I've run trail and seen my unit flash “weak signal” and cut out for a few seconds or several minutes. That can happen more than once per run or, on the same trail but a different day, not at all. Unfortunately, that's the nature of the technology. I don't know how much better the 305 could be.

Ryan
      Keymaster

If I buy it via this site, how do I go about doing so that this site gets credit for the purchase?

First, decide where you want to purchase from. As far as I know, your options are Road Runner Sports or Amazon.com (I don't think Foot Locker or Eastbay sell GPS systems). Once you decide where you want to purchase from, click the “Running Store” link on the left and click on the ad of your choice. Make your purchase and Hillrunner.com will get the referral fee. Thanks for asking this, I appreciate the support.

How accurate is it in the woods?  I'd like to try it out at places like the Nordic Trail or Lapham Peak and wonder if it would be an accurate gauge of those courses.

As much as I'd love to tell you to get one to make the commission ( 😉 ) I'd question the accuracy at a place like Lapham Peak. There are simply too many places where the tree cover seems like it would be too significant. With all the turns and changes in grade, the approximations you might get could be off. If you could find someone who has a GPS, it might be worth asking if you could borrow it and try it out there before buying. I'm skeptical about the technology's ability to be accurate at places like where you say you would want to use it.

cameron
      Participant

i've got a garmin 301 and can echo much of what is said on trails.  i also think the nature of single track winding trails also compromise the accuracy of a GPS in wooded areas.

on the flip side, on the roads it's very handy.  i have had problems in big cities (boston) with getting a signal when in a downtown area.

for the most part…it's a fun gadget…once you get used to the larger instrument on your wrist.

Chris
      Participant

It will 100% for sure be marginal in the woods or near even somewhat large buildings.  No way around it.  That said they are handy for running and I use mine for other things also. 

jtpaten
      Participant

Ryan, I see lots of Amazon links but none for RRS in your Running Store. There's something from RRS I want and I wouldn't mind helping you out at the same time I put in my order. But am I not looking in the right place?

Ryan
      Keymaster

Joel,

I see an old version of the front page of the running store somehow got out there but the links are still there on the front page. At the top of the second column, you can see a section titled “Great deals from RRS!” The first link is a 10% off link, the second is a link to the clearance store that probably also has some free shipping offer available.

If you don't see the links or want a free shipping link and neither link I have up right now is free shipping, let me know. I can be more specific pointing you to the links and ensure that a free shipping link is available, although the latter might require a wait at least until this evening.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.